As the times change..

If you have an idea post it here
Tranquil

As the times change..

Post by Tranquil »

forget it. im just offering some interesting ideas, if your gonna jump on me.. i dont care
Last edited by Tranquil on Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watcher

Replying to Topic 'As the times change..'

Post by Watcher »

Perhaps a peek over the horizon helps with perspective.

What is big now, may be very puny in future developments of the game. :>

purg

Post by purg »

i had a simular yet slightly different Idea, How about an actual server that people cant get thier old crits on. totally the same as the regular drakkar, but you have to roll up a new crit for it. for awhile all brad would have to have is Nork, and possibly aleria.

That way its almost like rerolling the game, no has anything, and no one can bring anything over from the other servers. Its a little confusing, i dont know how to really explain it so people know exactly what im talking about.

Basically, a server totally seperated from the other drakkar servers. That all players wishing to play on this server has to roll up a crit for it. So it would basically be like haveing a roll back. Its not very profitable, but would be nice to try it.

lalasushi

Post by lalasushi »

what you guys are speaking of is outrageous, in my opinion playing this game over would be overly repedative and would force me and many others to leave. the idea is just out of bounds, especially a new server. we want grim and new areas, not a new server which would probably lead to price increases.......

Valarc

Post by Valarc »

A rollback? I've grunted 10-20 hours a day almost every day for the last 2-3 months. I've gained significant skill in that time and worked my butt off for it. Take away my hundreds of hours of work and this game loses a paying gold member. The claims you are making are ridiculous... getting 35% a day paid training at skill 25 was FAR from unheard of during the IEN days. I agree that we have missed out on a generation, on the experience of being the "first" at a lot of stuff, at being awed by things like a reggie... but if you've ever been on a giantking or a vanidor, you'll see that that feeling is far from missing from the game. There are new lairs in this game that have not even been beaten yet, so I would say there's still plenty of "wow" factor. The fact that we are missing out has nothing at all to do with the faster skill gain on DZ... getting a reggie hunt up was far from difficult on IEN. The simple fact is, this game's been around for ten years... after ten years there are going to be enough big players to make lairs easy, deal with it.

It might be easy for you to suggest a roll back, but to try to punish thos of us who've worked their tails off because you're feeling nostalgic is ridiculous. The people who are suggesting the rollbacks are always the same... I seriously doubt you'll find many skill 25s in here asking "please take back all my hard work because I wanna think a chipper is nifty."
Valarc___STORM, usually found in #storm on irc, and in the pillar room in cob

**Excerpt from an actual Lobby chat session**

chance: does valarc eva leave game
Brad: valarc is an NPC
Brad: didnt you know that?

purg

Post by purg »

ok Lala, Chill!

I reallllllly dont think a simple server, that doesnt get upgraded with rest of the game, except maybe bug fixes would dramatically raise the cost of the game. Besides WE HAVE A RIGHT to voice our ideas good or bad. . I really doubt brad would do either of these ideas, but we just felt like saying them. Sometimes you have to look for the reality in a situation.
Last edited by purg on Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thundar__RELM

Post by Thundar__RELM »

Roll back equals I never play this game again. That's my opinion and I believe you will lose 90% of the maxxed players if you attempt anything like this. Yeah you will have wow factor for the whole month before Brad shuts the game down because there are 5 paying customers left. People if you do not want to experience quick gain and easy lairs then don't have big players do stuff for you or give you stuff. Do it on your own. You will have the same effect the first time you walk into the lair and you are the biggest player in there and you know that it is a bad eat. I remember the first sd hunt I went on. I was the bait and I had 408 hp. Only one healer and the draggie was never stunned. So yeah that was the greatest wow feeling I had experienced ever when that thing died and I was still alive. Guess what though no one had to have a roll back for me to experience it I just planned the hunt with smaller players and took a little risk for myself.

Take off your big gear and bait the lairs with no super crits on the hunt if you want thrill. Don't mess with people that have spent years and thousands of dollars to make a crit. Think about that for just a second. I have spent a few hundred dollars on this game and I will quit if it happens. What happens to the players that have spent well over $10,000 dollars on a crit when you take it away. Remember these people used to pay alot per hour to play not a little per month.

Then there is the other side of your idea. This game has great history. Guilds that don't exist now that were the first to do something. You are talking about destroying that history for no reason at all. This game is a great game full of history don't try to destroy that and the game at the same time.

It seems to me that an idea like that can only be formed from jealousy. You either don't have what others have so you don't want them to have it, or maybe you have it but you are still not as big and you really want the chance to say look I was bigger than you and I got it first. You might say well I am bored. If so sell all your gear give away all your coin and double reroll all crits. Don't let anyone help you at all and get back to where you were. See if restarting crits is anyless boring to you.

Thundar__RELM

Tranquil

Post by Tranquil »

Last edited by Tranquil on Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DukDog27

Post by DukDog27 »

It seems that a rollback wouldn't be a good idea imo. However, what Thundar is saying is correct. You don't need to restart everything for everyone to get that same buzz from your first hunt. I know how that buzz is now, I went on 2 RD hunts on saturday and I thought my head would explode. Those were my first hunts. Even so, like thundar said, you can still get new experiences from hunts that you do. With new hunts coming out all the time, I can't see how you can ever get bored. I'm not bored and I have never left Nork since the great shift. Maybe that means that I'm easily amused, or maybe it means that there is enough to do to keep you busy for a LONG time. That explains why Drakkar has been going for 10 years strong. Changing anything major about it could upset the balance and destroy the world.
"With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow, I still have joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud."

-Confucius

Watcher

Post by Watcher »

What you forget is that there were massive amount of 20 skill people on IEN. In early Cobrahn, people grew fairly fast because of books and later scrolls. Most of those people don't play anymore. The Bored Guild was fairly large and had lots of 20 skill plus people. The Fury Guild was quite large and was loaded with 20 + and some 30+ skill people. The KAM Guild was a very large guild and had a bunch of 20 skill people including several 30 skill players. The ASH guild was starting to get big in skill, there were several skill 20 people in that guild. Then there was the DUNE guild made up of old classic players, that came to Cobrahn, saw Cobrahn and whipped Cobrahn, went home and had some coffee.

Just because you weren't there when Cobrahn opened I believe has skewed your perspective on how the game has developed.

There were a ton of people in their teens (skill wise) just waiting to bust out to bigger and better things.

In early Cobrahn, books made people very large, very fast. Later it was scrolls. I knew of one healer that jumped 3 skills in less than 10 days because of scrolls. Above 20 skill of course.

There were large skill people way back when. Mid 20s skills. They no longer play.

It helps to have a history of the game in order to make a judgment on where it might be headed.

Like I said, in the future, skill 30 just might be a bare minimum to survive in new and dangerous places.

Of course, you could just throw your hands up in the air and say, no one in the past worked for their skill and we should just reroll them all.

If you miss the goold old days of skilling as a small player in the dungeon, then make another account. They are free by the way, just roll one up and start all over. If that's what you enjoy, then go do it.

Fenris

Post by Fenris »

Some of us have "started over" more than once!

I arrived on the Classic scene before the first Reggie was done. I was in the guild that first killed Ninghizidda, I was the first person that did the forged quest etc. back on Classic when Pit first opened.

The thing is these were some of the best times I've had because the content was completely new. It was a super rush. These things have been done now whether you start over and do them again or not they have been done.

The answer is simply new scenarios that haven't been done. I have a feeling those things are in the works as the current management seems intent on growing this game and continuing to support their long time customer base. Those people are generally high skill high level and also would like the opportunity to re-live some of the adventure of first time epic encounters which are so fondly remembered.

So again the solution isn't to re-invent the wheel but rather re-kindle the feelings with new wheel-like experiences!

-Fen

Rone

Post by Rone »

That's correct, keep "dreaming".

Reply to:

2) First of all, if you read my post, I said "i know its just a dream". You don't have to be offended, i'm just trying to suggest something that imvho would be best for drakkar in the long run. I am NOT punishing anyone, it's just an idea that i humbly suggested. "I know ill get yelled at for this". I did not mean to offend you or scare you valarc, to be honest i know this wont happen. But in my prefect world it just might.

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

Rollback ROFL!!!

I've worked my tail off to get to this point. 19/19, with less than 40% to go to skill 20. No, I don't own a chipper, I don't own a reggie, I don't have pgear, I'm not in any of the club houses.

Tranquil, if things are that easy for you, then follow this suggestion for better playing. Take all the gold from your banks and give it away, sell off all your gear, then reroll your crits. Sometimes starting over gives one a whole new perspective.

Some ideas deserve to be dragged out into the light of day and let everyone look at them, others deserve to be buried in the deepest hole possible. Rolling back is one of them.

Morgar

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

TurkeySand

Post by TurkeySand »

yall know what the crazy thing is....tranquil here is all talkin about rollbacks and gear and crap....but i did not see him passing up the ningi helm or lori robe that hulk and others got for him..after tranq said he would join hulks soon to be guild DP

oh btw....tranquil didnt you join EDGE right after getting those 2 pieces of gear from hulk and co.?

Tranquil

Post by Tranquil »

If you would like to use a hider, thats fine.

I dont know who you are and i dont particlarly care. your public attack on my was un-based, uncalled for, and ignorant.

I wont get into this on a public forum, this is none of the publics buissiness. All your doing is making yourself look foolish.

Saruman

Post by Saruman »

think turkeysand was just pointing out that you were a hypocrite and that you go back on your word ; )

Tranquil

Post by Tranquil »

Thats funny you say that northview, considering you are turkeysand.

Saruman

Post by Saruman »

;)

Drake

Post by Drake »

If you had not noticed, there is already a "rollback" in effect.
When I play my level 50 crit I now get Zero exp for it.
All those players you see in the Steel Flower hall are being rolled back (exp) every day they play.
Hurry and catch up so the limit will be lifted......not that I ever see it being lifted.

Drake

Relic

Post by Relic »

good point Drake, but how will noobs like me ever catch up to ya if u keep moving forward? :D

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

as he just said, thereis no exp gain at lvl 50 (i assume lvl 50's should know :P)
so they don't advance.
Dragonslayer of PHNX