Bow damage and thieves

If you have an idea post it here
Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Bow damage and thieves

Post by Tirith »

Wanted to post my opinion on the bow damage and using a thief with bow. With the new bow in game, I did some testing with my previous cupids bow from 2008? Damage was only slightly higher, this is with skill 40 in bow.
With the old bow, i saw damage in the range of 900-1300. With about 50% block rate.
With the new bow, the damage i saw ranged from 1500-2k. With a few less blocks. This is fully upgraded "killer" bow.
This testing was done with a thief, thieves have a low attack rating, thus their normal attacks arent going to be very powerful.
I imagine if you use this bow with a high level pally or barb, you will see very different results.
While I do not want to compare apples to oranges by comparing weapons. I want to say that with a primal thief you would expect different results.
Thieves get their damage from surprise attacks. Backstabs are the big damage, however you must be on hex, Could an arrow popping you in the back be considered a backstab?
Thrown received an answer to this question by giving a 2nd attack at skill 32 thievery. Albeit a better solution might have been to allow thrown/bow attacks to backstab at long range. This would provide an incentive to thieves to go the route of long range hidden, as you wont lose hide from a long range attack and still get your big damage.
This in turn throws in a balance question, If a thief can do backstab damage and not lose hide, then all thieves will go long range.
I feel like if you backstab long range, the creature becomes aware of your existance and will begin to look for you, and you can lose hide.

So to wind down this long post, this is what im proposing. Long range style weapons for thieves can trigger backstab, with a % chance of losing hide.

Moebius

Re: Bow damage and thieves

Post by Moebius »

well, quick shadow i think its called already allows for the chance at a bs from any normal attack even from thrown/bow, so not sure how the mechanics all works yet.. i think thieves need more hp regen :P

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

Quick shadow works with bow and thrown attacks IF the target is already on your hex. I am speaking about off hex.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Losing hide, I'm not a fan of since I'm already stuck with tiering and throwing cause non-ks backstab = deadmeat solo where I can gain.

How about:

Offhex bow backstab hits, it weakens your hide for 1 round (some sound effect), some crits might move to you (pray), some already onhex swing at you (pray more). You take your chance to aim for offhex when something on you. If thieves don't want that effect, make it a toggleble new quirk, don't buy it or turn it off and no 1round weaker hide and no more offhex backstab.

Or, have it do backstab damage onhex and longrange backstab only if the crit is facing away like Tirith said. You can't control this when solo since they move alot so when it happens, cool. And if in party, you still have to jockey for position to hit the back or just stand on party hex and do onhex backstab damage. I think Brad already has backstab do more damage when they face away so it's the same backstab routine except you don't move and don't lose hide on non-ks.

If the Vday bow is weaker than thrown at the same skill and doesn't double hit anyway, that's balance as well cause you are giving up some damage for longrange backstab, sometimes. The plus if using Vday bow is ranged weap with the perks of +10str/agi so you don't have to go killers ss/dagger or mace/dagger; you can have a hand free.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Skip

Post by Skip »

I completed all the upgrades to the valentines Bow. Then tested on my Barb with 35 bow skill.

I am dissapointed with the bow's damage. I see similar damage with fake banditlord pine longbow - about half the damage of a killer hally.

Alot of work for a level 70 weapon that feels more like a cob forged item than something in the killer family.

I agree with previous posts that thiefs could use the double shoot per round, similar to the double throw at sk 32.

Not sure how it affects hide, since its a "short bow" rather than pine longbow.

Did Improved Gipler bow ever get fixxed to allow it to gain you skill when using it?

~ Buzz/Skip__KAM ~