Lair Exp and New Players

If you have an idea post it here
dhavin

Lair Exp and New Players

Post by dhavin »

I had an idea on how to keep new players invested in their characters and in exploring the entire game. How about if each "lair" gave a one time BIG exp payout to characters, provided the lair wasn't damaged by a character say, ____ levels higher than the players in the PJ? (fill in the blank)

That way, the first time a new player participates in a lair hunt, they get a BIG payout on exp which will get the lower end of the game moving quickly while also making it desirable to finish quests and hunt the lairs in Nork and Aleria. I bet even Barney would get some action out of that. :)

So, if the character gets the one time award, they get flagged so that they can't ever get it again for that lair and then we don't need to worry about farming. Hell, I'd probably keep a bunch of lower level characters around just so that I could help on lairs "the real way" instead of coming in with big guns just for the gear. Something to think about.

Mars
Admin
Admin

Re: Lair Exp and New Players

Post by Mars »

What a concept. I'll chat with Omni and see if this is doable.

Poldarn

Post by Poldarn »

Mars wrote:What a concept. I'll chat with Omni and see if this is doable.

i concurr. fantastic idea.

Veega

Post by Veega »

great idea!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

I like that. Its easier with the newer crits ( that are scripted ).. real tough on the hard coded crits from the 80s

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Actually..

Let me throw this back on you guys.

List the lair crits, and how much the one time bonus should be..

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

My take:

-Define a level range to be used for lairs, showing the expected level at which a person or group would kill the lair, extending all the way down to NPC's like lizard king. Without knowing npc levels, this might be a 4 level range in either direction, ie 41-49 for a lvl 45 lair.
-If the player is in that range, it would be considered appropriate. X levels below that range would be considered "Difficult"; X levels above would be considered "Easy".
-For a player in the appropriate range, they would gain a fixed 5-20% of their total exp needed for next level, depending on the lairs relative difficulty (Uther would give more than Goblin King). Ie, if they are lvl 25, they would gain 26-94m exp.
-For a player in the "difficult" range, they would gain slightly more. In the "easy" range, slightly less. Outside of the ranges entirely would yield no exp, as it implies they vastly overpower it, or were receiving help from much larger players.
-Award the exp once per lair.
-Check the level of everyone in the party, devise a method to ensure the exp won't be awarded if someone enormously beyond the lair's level range is basically solo'ing the encounter.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

dhavin

Post by dhavin »

Darge wrote:My take:...
My suggestion would be to keep it really simple. I'll have to go through the list of lairs, but yes - award a percentage of experience to next level for a one time award on a lair kill. I wouldn't even bother assigning a level range for each lair, just tie down the awards to a narrow party level band who have damaged the NPC/Lair. That way if a group of level 25s want to go and earn 20% of their exp to next level spending 2 hours learning how to get into the seldari queen lair, good on them. It's a one time award and they actually KNOW how to complete that lair.

Maybe a flat rate 10% is a good number? It probably depends on the number of lairs that grant the award. Maybe the easier lairs could have even tighter bands for party level; strictly hypothetical lizard king kill, players might need to be within one level of each other, while slith would open the band to be within six levels. I'm just pulling numbers out of thin air here, but it's a place to start. Yes, I know slith is one of those 80s lairs, sorry. I'll never mention slith again. :)

Cirion

Post by Cirion »

I love this idea, its great...

Logic2

Post by Logic2 »

Yes, great idea. I think its very cool. Say a group of 18 and under exp guys go kill Slicer. It could hand out said EXP bonus for first timers... 10 meg or 20... and also do something cool like drop 5 megs in coins and watch all the gold clink around the lair.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

If you make it INDIVIDUAL.. you can just award the points.. a fixed value.. regardless of level.. right?

I mean, its one time.. "kill of naga is xxxx points" whenever you do it.

Would be like a quest completion?

Its just one time..

Tirith
Title: The Raging Darge

Post by Tirith »

Yes brad.. i think that would be much simpler...

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

The problem with individual "kill" award is for parties, you have to plan for the right player to actually get the kill shot. Sometimes this is not easy to do especially for those lairs that are by nature resistant to certain attacks.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Use the same type flagging as tanning. You just have to be in the party and see the death to get the quest completion, that would get rid of needing the killshot.

Cobra

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

as cobra said, there is also other things that use similar functionality, Factioning for example.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Omni
Admin
Admin

Post by Omni »

Hmm.

Doable, especially as Brad indicated, for 'newer' additions to the game.

If we are going to go back through these creatures brad, we should ALSO, in conjunction, make sure that we capture the completion of that kill/quest so that we can display it at a later time for those players who are trying to track their Accomplishments.

The latter will assist with former as once we track their success at the lair or quest, we can check for it and make certain their is no duplication of the initial reward.

I really, really would like a player toolset with locker data, kill data, number of deaths, so on and so forth.
Account and Billing issues: help@drakkarzone.com
E-mail: Omni.sysop@gmail.com
Twitter: @OmniSysop
http://www.facebook.com/omni.sysop
Send me Ideas, Suggestions, Bugs or Complaints!
Event Mailing list, send me an email with TELL ME OMNI in the subject!

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Speaking of locker data, I miss the old website were you could check all your lockers online. It also showed who was in what alts, their score, and level. Was a very handy site for locating locker objects, as well as scope out a non-busy alt to go hunting in.

It was also fun watching your score go up to see how close you were to making the scoreboard.

Cobra