wiki, facebook, stuff

If you have an idea post it here
Longbeard

wiki, facebook, stuff

Post by Longbeard »

Ok, I maybe forgotten, but I never forgot The Kingdom Of Drakkar, I love this game and spent a lot of time in it.

As life changes and you have various things come into it, some other things come out, like if kids come in time gets comsumed by them, that and a job, leaves little time for the Drakkar. However curiocity remains about what is out there and i have kinda just peeked into some other games. Here are some notable developments that seem to enhance feeling of the community a lot in many places now.

Hosting of a wiki software by the owners of the game and thus allowing people to author whole huge range of pages, starting from "User page" <--- a nice little niche on the web, for Drakkar population, to all sorts of stories, guides, items, news, old news and new news, pictures and stuff...
Surely, a degree of freedom of allowing all registered users to write what they see as important is paramount. So not just cooperation, but almost (kinda regulated but still) free for all.
Here is the link to get it going from, or to just find out about:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Now then, with wiki outta way, next big deal thing the facebook,

Yes, i know drakkar has a lobby and stuff, there is no web log in available for 8 years and so on, however on EIN there was website login available and thus it maybe available in general, a guess.
So if it can be made possible to loginto Drakkar through having logged into facebook and logging into facebook through having logged into drakkar, then guess what (no idea actually) but there seems to be great seemingly unlimited potential in reaching new ppl and communicating with all the people that you grew to know for years and even without speaking to them for also years never seem to forget.
http://developers.facebook.com/docs/guides/web
-Link on how that works.
As Drakkar has quite nice user page / account interface where it is possible to change e-mail account and facebook accounts are registered based on an e-mail, then it would give people a choice to ether have thier main facebook linked to Drakkar or setup a whole new game only persona on the facebook, by selecting appropriate e-mail.
Drakkar should have a "Fan group" on facebook for sure.

Time to move with the times I say, there was a time when Drakkar was ahead of the Internet, time when you had to call into the server. Now internet took off and Drakkar is not as accessable as it can be it seems.

Time to break self imposed exile and come out meet the year 2010 :)

Now, I am looking to find some time to possibly even log in!

Best regards,
Longbeard / Areyekuwe, never first in anything but very senior in everything lol

Omni
Admin
Admin

Re: wiki, facebook, stuff

Post by Omni »

Excellent ideas. We may be able to do something like this.

Omni
Account and Billing issues: help@drakkarzone.com
E-mail: Omni.sysop@gmail.com
Twitter: @OmniSysop
http://www.facebook.com/omni.sysop
Send me Ideas, Suggestions, Bugs or Complaints!
Event Mailing list, send me an email with TELL ME OMNI in the subject!

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Thanks Longbeard, i've been going back and forth with the gang ever since your first message to us.

We are collecting proof of the age of the game, etc. Hopefully we can put something forward to wiki ( at worse )

As far as a local wiki, thats good too. I'd just like to figure out who at WIKI i have upset over the years.

Thanks!
Brad

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

blizzard haha
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Infinity

Post by Infinity »

I have found a goodly amount of information but it is not easy as most is not browser-searchable. For example, I found 2 MPG-NET ads referencing Drakkar in 1992 issues of a Gamer magazine but the actual ad is a picture. If using Find gives no results for Drakkar, MPG-NET, MPGN, I must either look for an advertiser index (also a picture) or I must look at every page of each issue. Some are 200 pages. Circa 1988 is my lower limit unless I hear otherwise from Brad. We will amend our own Wiki as we find undeniable proof and work backwards in time until we can find the oldest proof. Then this can be moved to Wikipedia.

I need the names of any publications that existed between 1988 and 1992 that reviewed, discussed and/or advertised anything gaming-related, even if RPG board games so that I might have an archive to search and point to. I must point at an objective source, not files saved on some loyal player's server if we are to have any credibility for the real Wikipedia.

Thanks to Areyekuwe2 for his PM and his post. It sparked an interest and I have discovered far more than I expected so far.

Balm

Post by Balm »

I still have the original KOD loose leaf binder book that I was sent when I originally played it on MPGN. I saw it back in NOV when I restarted and was looking for my old account info. I just have to find where i stashed it and will send a copy of the binder and contents.
Balm

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Infinity wrote:Thanks to Areyekuwe2 for his PM and his post. It sparked an interest and I have discovered far more than I expected so far.
So far this is my most popular post since times on EIN! We had some amazingly good writers back then, and at times I was able to make them mad, so 3 pages of back and forth in a cool but tough manner, oh fun it was to be 10 years younger!
Really little time on the hands, while updating my PC bought one that excludes gaming pretty much, (10" super thin notebook) most of the time, e-mail "social network"(the facebook) updating couple of websites in the middle of the night and that's all.
WiKi would be very much something that I would contribute to.

Thank you for noticing, my little effort to stay in-touch : )

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Longbeard wrote: Drakkar should have a "Fan group" on facebook for sure.
After searching facebook for "Kingdom Of Drakkar" found the group, there is one there, already :)

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Brad wrote:As far as a local wiki, thats good too.
Really can't wait for the Local WiKi,

It is a well known fact that many websites came and went and many people published all sorts of guides and info on items on their websites, it would be great to have wiki that sticks around as long as the game is,

Pages that we can write for it there are:
Version notes - people of Drakkar love all the little walks along memory lane like, Wait, it was not that it was called "Pit" back in the day ... so on, so forth.
Or, "...no he started on MSN!..."

The Item's pages, player maintaned,

Guild's pages

Including Guilds of Days gone by, with all sorts of lore,

User pages, every one can get a page!

All sorts of TOS related stuff like an easy to access subscription benefit description, so people would not ask "What are the benefits of Gold plan again HP or EP or both?"

Today with hard drives going down in price and up in size it should not be hard to host as a subdoman on kingdomofdrakkar.com/wiki or something.....

I am really not letting this idea down, so many people here that can write a page in HTML, we should use them all...

Infinity

Post by Infinity »

As an update, I am still working on the Wikia for Drakkar in case any think I have forgotten :)

For the most part, the sysop-added content is derived from the Drakkar's website, help files and whatever we could find in our research concerning Drakkar through the ages. Mars will decide what more we will add afterwards to bring it current.

Anything beyond this is up to YOU! (booming voice). Yes, it would not be a Wiki if people could not contribute to it as this is one of the points of doing this. All in-game info, tips, anything you do not go to a sysop for, you would provide if you choose to. All your contributions are subject to the scrutiny (and correction) of your peers so Talk Wat'cha Know! :D

The Main page has the Drakkar introduction and has links at the bottom to Kingdom of Drakkar Help, History of Drakkar, FAQ and Screenshots. All Main topics will be Categories found under Contents. I am still shuffling some around.

The bulk of the Help files are in but I would rather finish what I can before announcing It Is Up. When enough is up, we will officially announce it is up.

Infinity

I never put up my email before. If you have ideas, suggestions for adds to Wikia, email me. See signature below.

Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Official announcement of the Kingdom of Drakkar Wiki was made with this post
http://www.kingdomofdrakkar.com/forums/ ... 101&t=7578

The link is: http://kingdomofdrakkar.wikia.com/wiki/ ... akkar_Wiki

You can add comments or suggestions here or email me.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

New job, new schedule, hard to keep up. Good to gear it is up though, will look at it.
[edit]
Did look at it.
Sent you a forums PM.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Infinity wrote:Official announcement of the Kingdom of Drakkar Wiki was made with this post
http://www.kingdomofdrakkar.com/forums/ ... 101&t=7578

The link is: http://kingdomofdrakkar.wikia.com/wiki/ ... akkar_Wiki

You can add comments or suggestions here or email me.
Very badly done site. Not even sure what took so long anyway.
It is very sad that somethings in Drakkay seem so close and yet they die slow and painfull death like this wikia (instead of wiki) thing.

There must be a URL purchased, then it must be hosted off a server on Brad's computer or yahoo computer or whatever works, URL cost $10 a year (possible to find for less), hosting is $10 a month(possible to find for less).....

wiki code is available for free online at wiki media site and it looks much better and works great and does not have 8 adds per page. In fact you can sell add space and make money.

Drakkar site should have a "Follow Us on Facebook" button, it is easiest thing in the world to put up on the site.

Any one remember "refferal program"? well i accumulated over 100 downloads of the game through my link, but somehow it just died after 8 years since it's start or end, depends on whichway you look at it, was it "touched" only one time at the start and then forgotten?

It is sad when things that are great, like this game is start falling asleep kinda because of luck of interest or care from the owners.

All the best,
Areyekuwe,
-thief that never left, just in and out all the time.

PS.
I started playing in September 1999. I am not an "oldtimer" but i do have some perspective and i like this game a lot.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Longbeared +1

I agree.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Yohon

Post by Yohon »

Sorry no offense meant but that wikia thing is horrible, not the postings, the host

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Guys, please don't pay attention to the "SERVICE" running the sight. The goal here is to gather the content, correct the content, build the user facing/fact based side, then present it to wikipedia with the hopes they don't declare it all a "lie" again.

Basically, i can't put it on my site, because they claim we are biased. It also needs to be "user" facing.

So please sign up, help with content, upload your stuff, and critique the content without slamming the author too much on the service it is runnng on.

Thanks
Brad

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Brad wrote:Guys, please don't pay attention to the "SERVICE" running the sight. The goal here is to gather the content, correct the content, build the user facing/fact based side, then present it to wikipedia with the hopes they don't declare it all a "lie" again.

Basically, i can't put it on my site, because they claim we are biased. It also needs to be "user" facing.

So please sign up, help with content, upload your stuff, and critique the content without slamming the author too much on the service it is runnng on.

Thanks
Brad
Now Brad,
You are the owner of this whole thing, in corporate terms it would not make sence for me to say anything bad to you. I can just walk out the door and close it from the other side without even slamming it.

but let's dance a bit, shell we?

You say:
Guys, please don't pay attention to the "SERVICE" running the sight. The goal here is to gather the content, correct the content, build the user facing/fact based side, then present it to wikipedia with the hopes they don't declare it all a "lie" again.
I say:
It hurts my eyes. I say there is no reason not to get wiki media download and install it on some server and have a nice site.
My question: Are you looking for a tombstone or a good site that would become help file of this huge game? It can do a much better job then this forums, in fact.

I have written whole articles for wiki, as in main wiki and I have edited countless pages on personal run wikiES.

Is it possible that you are a computer pro and you are out of touch with what is happening out there and how wiki model is run?

Ok let me say it again, this game is pretty big, it must get even bigger(I hope) we can go ahead and present an organized site that functions like a hybrid of seville's site tnem's site, roar guild site, this forums, my dead site, all of them under one "roof" so that there is good site to give to people that want to start game?

To put up a page on main wiki dedicated to drakkar is a whole different issue. Right now this game needs a good help file for people to see. You have no idea how often on IEN we referenced the in game Help, and attempted to ride the Moose in Frore because help file said you maybe able to. Good help file is a big part of the RPG element of the game. To write a good wiki with everything we can put into it will draw ppl in, but it must be something serious, not this half^$$ thing with 8 adds per page.

How bout the simple button "Follow us on facebook", want to see how that may look like? Go take a look on UO.com

I mean if the intention is to let this game run into the ground slowly, fine.

If not it needs work on as many fronts as possible and as much work as possible.
But if we do it, why not do it right? No need for wikia, just wiki on a private server. No need for java drakkar, just more and bigger current drakkar.

This game has gone on for a long time, it can go for a long time, but it needs some serious effort, with the "serious" as the keyword here.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Please see my previous post on what the intent is here. I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish with the attacks and off topic responses. This isn't me messing with facebook, doing marketing, making an official drakkar wiki, or trying to create a wiki hosted by myself, its a fan based attempt to gather fan based info which will be combined with historical data, so the wiki people won't declare it "fake" and remove it once reposted to the wiki site.

If you can be constructive, then please do so, but please stop shooting the volunteers.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Brad wrote:Please see my previous post on what the intent is here.
-I have.
I'm not sure what your trying to accomplish with the attacks and off topic responses.
I believe i have came into forums with a polite posting about how it is possible to use wiki and facebook, i seem to still be talking about it. Is it off topic?
Up to you,
-you the boss.
This isn't me messing with facebook, doing marketing, making an official drakkar wiki, or trying to create a wiki hosted by myself,
Why not?
Also, can get ppl to join you in that.
its a fan based attempt to gather fan based info which will be combined with historical data, so the wiki people won't declare it "fake" and remove it once reposted to the wiki site.
Sounds like it is your idea that you have introduced into my post in your forum which is titled "Submit an Idea!", so as it is off topic in regards to my own idea, why would you not submit your own idea in your own thread?
Oh, sorry i forgot, it is pointless, no one to submit to hehe
Again this here: "reposted to the wiki site" has nothing to do with what i am talking about.
If you can be constructive, then please do so, but please stop shooting the volunteers.
Volunteers and shooting?
-just think about it.
I am a customer and i am not happy, now who do i shoot?

What i am not happy with?
The store is empty, I am all alone, and the product is stale.
What is my fault?
I like the store, and would continue shopping here, just let me shoot some volunteers, trust me they deserve it, sometimes.

So to my original post you could have said:
"What i do with Drakkar is none of your business" Instead of coming in and giving a lot of input, which somehow pushed my idea offtopic.

Did you even notice that 4 of the best "fan sites" that you had got almost lost, well 2 did and 2 got hosted because people saved them. One of the lost sites was mine, yes. (all this has to do with geocities closing).

To think, i could have become a volunteer, and would offer myself to be shot, because i am surely a big fan.

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

If you really want this then I can hose it addless for FREE on my hosting, cuz im just a nice guy :P

Tnem-ish

Yohon

Post by Yohon »

Id agree, Im sure no one including myself meant to shoot the messenger, and meant no offense but a little constructive criticism is vital to a healthy exchange

Will work with what we have and be happy I guess