Sound/Music - again.

If you have an idea post it here
RayonMazter

Sound/Music - again.

Post by RayonMazter »

The method the drakkar client uses to play the sound files is very old and currently extremely unoptimistic. With the game music on, the game gets some serious lag - noticable issues with round-lag even. I run drak on a machine I develop on, so I can't imagine problems other people (especially new players) get with lag from the music...not to mention it also causes runtime errors occasionally.

It couldn't take more than a day to find and use an open-source, and kind-lincensed library to stream mp3's, and improve the performance on both sound and music in drakkar to expand the system.

If I don't mention it, i'll get the basic "who listens to drak music anyways?" ...probobly no one - because of this and the fact that midi is extremely outdated.

A few years ago I screwed around and re-composed the drakkar music in mp3, and from the very few people I showed it to, all agreed it would be a lot nicer to be able to have mp3 (or ogg - if there's license issues) capabilities.

The GUI is outdated (looks like vb6...), the music is outdated - along with how it is played, and so on....

This is probobly the most simple update to keep one aspect of the game up to date...I don't expect anything but it's worth a (probobly pointless) shot.

Examples of mp3:
Fight.mp3
Dungeon.mp3

PossessedAxe

Re: Sound/Music - again.

Post by PossessedAxe »

I'd like to point out a couple things and I just recently came back, seems like Brad is on some sort of hiatus, but that's cool. Whenever you get time, I think this issue needs to be addressed.

First off, I've been looking into it for a couple years now, and what happens is everytime you change a music zone your screen will literally lock up. Some mistake it for waiting for the next round, etc, but I assure you, after much testing, it is not. Some sort of error or delay is caused during the music changing.

Finally, Music makes a lot of difference in a game. Yeah, after years of playing most games the music is so burnt into your mind that you basically turn it off, but it doesn't matter, you still know what it's like and come back to it from time to time. To be honest, the best quality of World of Warcraft was that it's musical score was simply amazing. Sometimes I sit in the login screen just to hear it on repeat.

Drakkar has been thinned down pretty good in the last few years, our player population is.. dwindling. However, even with this small crowd, there are those out there who really know things about this sort of coding/etc. I really think it would be beneficial to those of us who are left if some of the issues brought up on the forums could be collaborated and tackled.

Tnem
Title: Lord

Post by Tnem »

Vsari

Post by Vsari »

Sound improvements have been suggested several times in the past I think.

IMO sounds like the " Uhhnngh / Ohhgh " on every hit no matter the creature and the " Splat " on all death blows need to be updated.. The hit sounds could be based off damage done so we could have 4 different sounds and death blows to creature specific death sounds.

uebersoldat

Post by uebersoldat »

People still have sound enabled?