Map Competition?

If you have an idea post it here
Quaternion

Map Competition?

Post by Quaternion »

I have been working on a utility to make maps. I thought if people were interested I could make it for release then we could have map making competitions with winning entries considered for addition to game?

Here are some examples of the utility so far.

The utility in action:

The bar on the right allows images to be selected and placed in the grid on the left.

Zoomed in view:

Zoomed out view:

and the output image:

Doro

Re: Map Competition?

Post by Doro »

And someone can make a map(s) of NL at last!

Athena
Title: Goddess aka ROADKILL

Post by Athena »

Wow, Quaternion, thats pretty spiffy! 8)
Last edited by Athena on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Goddess of wisdom, the breath of life...
Protectress of Heroes brave and valorous.

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

You may already know this, but tile hexes are separated into something like "base tile" and "graphic overlays". Judging from screen shots of your program, you're using cropped instances of existing tiles with overlays already on them to make tiles with overlays, whereas further cropping out the individual overlays through the "difference" tool in photoshop will allow you more flexibility in creating unique maps and should generally be easier to use.

This was how Pax was able to make the portals in CC I believe, so it can lead to some interesting maps.
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

Your correct Darge, main reason why I havent got base tiles and overlays is just lazyness. Also i know that there are some crib sheets out there of all base images. If i get those i can just add them.

Basically i just wrote a tool to split screen captures into hexes then use the ones i want. Maybe when i have the time i'll make it more advanced.

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

I believe the base image sheets you are speaking of were for the old artwork. (I have them somewhere on my old machine if you want them)

That is unless the new ones leaked somewhere that I don't know of yet.

Quaternion

Post by Quaternion »

Thanks for the offer Drewst, but have the new ones now :)

nunnbt473

Post by nunnbt473 »

I have toyed with this idea for a long time, but never took the time to learn a programming language in depth enough to do it. I know it wouldn't be hard to create, but I wanted to create one that automatically pulled the information from the game and exacted it to a bitmap file in much the same way the game does, but I would have needed brad for that anyway.

My alternatively was more what you've done where you can manually have it insert each individual tile. If I had a program which had every object / terrain I would gladly make some nork maps with it.

Email me @ nunnbt473@hotmail.com if the program is complete and you want me to do some wandering around.
----------
Just say no to fate cards.