Petition for the death of 8 bit.

If you have an idea post it here
Hemi

Petition for the death of 8 bit.

Post by Hemi »

I like many things in the old FE. Some of the artwork and not having to right click to change the cursor into an arrow so not to oneshot an npc are two that I can think of right off the top of my head. But its time has come and gone.

When you talk about how many bits a game has it normally refers to the number of binary units (bits) that represent each pixel. 8 bit has 256 colors (2^8), 24 bit represents over 1.67 million colors/shades/tints.

Why does this matter? Well it doesn’t, but the number of bits can also refer to the way the game addresses information. The Nameless Land scenario (most likely, I haven’t seen the code) runs completely on 24 bit, which means that info that is sent to the new FE very well cant be handled by the old FE. Some have suggested that default graphics could be used for items that don’t appear in the old FE. The problem is the old FE (most likely) thinks it is showing the appropriate graphic (unlike simple html scripts that know when a pic has failed to load). So even if a default graphic were used it would still have to be manually assigned to each NL item.

IMHO its time for Brad/Flisk to take the 8 bit version off the DL page and banish it to a deep dark place in the forums where only those well into their time at KoD can find it. This will end people coming into the game only to realize they need to DL the full version sometime later. People wont miss what they’ve never had.

Alas my friends the old FE has finally gone to join Atari 2600 in that great 8 bit palace in the sky.

May it rest in peace.

Mistic

Replying to Topic 'Petition for the death of 8 bit.'

Post by Mistic »

:D Finally someone took the time to explain the difference....lol.
I completely agree with Hemi here! It is easier to play a game from the beginning without having to learn it once and have to re-download the new FE and learn it all over. But really guys in a matter of hours you adjust to the new look. I love the 24-bit version personally and hope I have to never go back to 8 bit again. Goodbye and good riddens!

Sheesh, Atari that's a blast from the past...I must be getting old *snickers*