Admin
Admin

New Front End Suggstions

Post by Mars »

Post ideas here, but please no repeats from previous posts on this thread

Ichor

Replying to Topic 'New Front End Suggstions'

Post by Ichor »

Just the usual things we were repeating endlessly in chat. :)

Sortable user list.
Forum Button.
PM of some sort.
Private/guild channels.
A way to stop scrolling so we can scroll back. (The right click/stop scrolling didn't seem to work when I started scrolling back, only while I was on current screen)

Ichor

Thundar__RELM

Post by Thundar__RELM »

Umm not sure if it is possible but maybe a way that say if you go over to another channel when you come back to the 00 channel you will be able to read what was said while you were away. This would be a way to monitor the 00 while you were in a guild channel as well.

thundar__RELM

Thundar__RELM

Post by Thundar__RELM »

Also how about more direct access to forums rather than news then forums.

Thundar__RELM

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

These are important to me...

- resizability (so you can resize the lobby to fit a certain portion of screen)
- "stay on top" - so it stays above all other windows...

combining the above, I'd be able to resize the lobby so it fits the space in the game FE and the stay on top would keep it visible, so I can play and read at the same time ;)
Mihey__PHNX

buho

Post by buho »

Users lists alpha sorted and a way to change chat font size will be enough for me.

buho.

buho

Post by buho »

Originally posted by Thundar__RELM

Also how about more direct access to forums rather than news then forums.

Thundar__RELM
Create a new link, name it 'Drakkar Forums', in the target URL enter http://www.kingdomofdrakkar.com/forums/.

Dbl click the link, your browse will be loadad and youll be here. Powered by Bill$oft.

buho.

Emily

Post by Emily »

I like what was said so far, but would it be possible to have either multiple sessions running or multiple windows, so more than one channel can be viewed?

Also,

User selectable colors and maybe have named channels (and/or guild channels) and if possible, a way to register channels, or allow guild taggers to boot/eject, gag or ban people. If those features were added, I could do away with IRC.

Another possibility, if somebody wants to make a new GUI, the existing new FE could have a second window style option for "Chat bar" sort of window, maybe 5-10 rows in hight with just the chat text minus the buttons, and maybe a scrollable users list.

buho

Post by buho »

Originally posted by buho

Users lists alpha sorted and a way to change chat font size will be enough for me.

buho.

And, please, a way to change colors, actual ones are tiresome.

buho.

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

For me a resize would be nice along with font size selection for chat area.

However First:
This sucker is leaking. xp is handling it but 9x is loosing memory and resources to a point that it begins to effect preformance in only a few hours.

buho

Post by buho »

It have some readraw problems too.

Sometimes, being maximized or switching to top some areas are not redrawn. The user list and the chat are redrawn but the online state panel, the crit selector and the title bar are not.

The only way to get those panels again is exiting with the systray menu and loading the program again.

buho.

PS: Not seen memory leaks yet, will check.

Migam

Post by Migam »

Front end, for me, is the game FE so my ideas refer to that solely.

Every spell cast on you or in effect should register up top. That maybe can't include fire/ice prot from yeti as it would be a lot shown but 1) infravision cast should be there and 2) if you double the display area for spells in effect, you can actually display every effect including from armor and rings (like muzi. I have to cast and recast and note ep recovery to guess if it's gaining more than normal.) Shrinking the icons shouldn't be a problem.
How about sorting crits by distance? When I have it at 8 crits display and there are 4 archers and 4 melee with more of both attacking, I can't hit the unseen melee GS mummy pain that's really walloping me unless I switch to the 16 crit mode and it's too much having it flash from 8 to 16 every round. Unfornately, you can now longer take for granted that the crit at the top left is the same one if it re-sorts but who cares? Also, how about sorting by alignment? During the Rumble in the Frore, I would have like to make evil crits at top of list to attack instead of all the PCs. Which of course would screw up the my proximty idea if you have an army of PCs on your hex. However, in a normal solo hunt, nice to have PCs get top priority in case 1) you are about to do a terrain spell on a zoo and someone walks right in unseen, 2) someone is pilfering your loot while you are battling zoo 3) or you want to say hiya. The solution would be an option to choose if you sort by PC or NPC, evil (if pally), lawful, neutral, etc or even by guild for those so inclined. That way, I can see evil NPCs during the next event.
Still feel the race of char is not as important to know as the class. A thief can stay as a warrior or other class it unknown but nice to be able to tell who's a healer, ment, pally, MA or barb esp. when you need CC, heal or need to duck when ment is about to blast a zoo or barb decides to zerk.

I have more but gotta make breakfast
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Mykah

Post by Mykah »

I for one hope you DO NOT add the personal message feature. Game play ceases to be fun when you are constantly getting messaged. I have been forced to stay invis for months. Having the channels is good enough for anyone. Many people abuse the personal msg feature and will continue to do so. If it is not available, it can't be a nuisance:)

Mykah

Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Or adding onto Mykahs comment, maybe an ignore feature to filter pests.

Rosey
RIP Guild Website http://www.ripguild.com

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Yeah, IMs really sucked. People would ask and beg over and over for stupid stuff. Having channels where people can set a password is nice. Like the private tables back on mpgn. Have it where it could be open, or set the password if you wanted it private.

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

I'll agree with some of the others, IM's should not be a priority and if possible, should not be implemented.

In its current form its too tiny unless I reduce my screen resolution. And quite frankly I didn't buy a 21 inch monitor to display 640x480. Please give us the ability to maximize the front end.

Also along the same lines, the same complaint as the original DZ frontend. Let us change the font size. I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm about to send DZ a bill for having to change my reading glasses prescription. The font is way too small for these tired old eyes.

Also, the new front end definitely appears to have a memory problem that is somehow related to the process of minimizing the application. If I don't minimize the application, it seems to work fine, but upon minimizing, the system resources are eaten like crazy. I'm been forced to turning off the computer because it refuses to shut down properly.

Guild related channels should be a low priority. Quite frankly, I'd rather see more effort put into the game than the front end.

If you're going to allow access to the forums, remember to invoke IE, not the currently open browser. The forums DO NOT function properly under Netscape (my browser of choice). I keep netscape up all the time, IE goes up only for those applications that aren't handled by Netscape.

Changing font colors and typeface would be a nice addition, but its a cosmetic change only and therefore not really needed.

The new frontend serves the purpose. After all, if people really want to chat, they can always slip into their favorite IRC channel where they have greater control over the display. Summing up;

1 Fix the memory problem (this isn't a request, its something that has to be done)
2 Make it resizeable to full screen (a request)
3 Give us a minimal amount of control over the font size/typeface. (a request)

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

buho

Post by buho »

Morgar:

Im not asking for color changing only for fun, the black backgrounds tiresome. I need to close all windows (errr... real windows, not computer windows :)) and change lights to stop reflections over the black backgrounds (and reflections are worst than little fonts).

And yep, the launcher appear to leak memory.

On a side note: forums work pretty well with my Netscape 6.2.1

buho.

genesis

Post by genesis »

I'd like to add my vote to the Sizability, stay on top and Channel naming suggestions.

And add, the ability to be invisible to certain users, and visibility to only certain channels.

but MOST important. A locker viewer! :D

Thanks for working so hard on the FE. You guys are doin' a great job!.. Keep up the good work.

buho

Post by buho »

Originally posted by Rosey

Or adding onto Mykahs comment, maybe an ignore feature to filter pests.

Rosey
Agreed.

I want the friend list back; a filter can be of great help.

buho.

makoosh2

Post by makoosh2 »

Originally posted by Cobra

Yeah, IMs really sucked. People would ask and beg over and over for stupid stuff. Having channels where people can set a password is nice. Like the private tables back on mpgn. Have it where it could be open, or set the password if you wanted it private.

I think there should not be passwords for channels this is a game that is social and making passowrds is making everything thats not a group game, but I agrea wiht others in game on top of screen there should be like a mini chat for veiw use only.:p :sarc
Makooooooooooshie

Hotice

Post by Hotice »

hmmm... i think there should be password locked chats, nothing like having someone enter a chat and annoy the heck outta ya while you're trying to play or have someone interrupt a possible guild meeting and won't leave.... also reduces the annoyance of someppl bothering you :)

-Hotice____RAGE

Thundar__RELM

Post by Thundar__RELM »

I really think pm's should be implemented as soon as possible. Put ignore or whatever on them but is rough to have mirc not working and know your friends are in game but not know where and you can't reach them.

Thundar__RELM

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

How about something like the Drakkar Tools SAS had. So...

1) you can find that intel pot that you know you have but can't seem to remember which locker on which slot its in.

2) Improve it a little more so you can't just look at stuff, but can move stuff around, a 'secure' way to transfer gold, gear, pots to other slots.

3) an options list so I can make it not blink in the start menu everytime someone types something..

Would be some super cool things to implement when the time is available.
Communication End.

Pax

Post by Pax »

An option to 'always keep on top'.

The ability to click on the dz window on the task bar to minimize it (rather than clicking normal minimize).
Last edited by Pax on Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tranquil

Post by Tranquil »

Originally posted by Mykah

I for one hope you DO NOT add the personal message feature. Game play ceases to be fun when you are constantly getting messaged. I have been forced to stay invis for months. Having the channels is good enough for anyone. Many people abuse the personal msg feature and will continue to do so. If it is not available, it can't be a nuisance:)

Mykah

OK.. i just had to post something here. sorry.

Honestly, with the DZ browser i loved having the abbility to drop someone a line while IN the game, it was easier then having AIM or ICQ open at the same time. I could chat with my friends, and talk casually with people. Perhaps larger people are asked for help frequently and it gets tiresom. you have to think of the little people too, we still like to chat with our friends, and such.

Is it a possibility of just simply adding a feature of not going invis and being visable, but at the same time, not accepting private messages??? :sarc