Perma ES and ABS Buffs

If you have an idea post it here
Astrid_RIP

Perma ES and ABS Buffs

Post by Astrid_RIP »

Hey folks just started fooling around with my mentalist again and as I am grubbing I'm also thinking about what I'll be faced with when leveling my mentalist.. Everything is fine except recasting all my "buffs" every minute! When I had a big healer(ok small according to todays standards) I found the same problem...recasting buffs on everyone every minute or so. (drives me nuts!Plus I'm spoiled.) I know this isn't an important issue but here is my thoughts.

Let me start by presenting some facts that I know of. I only have knowledge regarding a medium-sized healer so I baseing my facts off of that. Yes I used charsima gear that raised it to 21.

We all know that aging in the game is a fact of playing this game...it's going to happen to you even if you are a barbarian. The reason for such aging skills is so that your "buffs" stay up during the fight and the pure luxury of farming for coin pots, and items. The ratio of the money you coin for hits and such and the money you coin for yps goes up drastically once you hit about level 22 or so.

If I remember correctly on my healer I had look forward to coining about 6 billion coins for hits and eps. And for every 25 million coins I farmed resulted in me spending 7 million on a yp. So basically I was looking at coining 240 (25 million checks) and paying 1.68 billion in yps :( .

Now that was just one level, and true that was after the ch hit/eps thing was implemented and yes that included gaining my cob hits and grubbing. So basically I was paying the game 28% interest for the convinence of having pwd and earthcrush just so I can kill faster to earn more money to pay for hits and eps! Not only that let's look at the time invested it would have taken me to coin that money.

Let's say for it took my healer at her best 20 minutes to coin a million coins...in a little over of 8 hours of coining I could make 25 million coins. It would take me 297.4 days to coin that money in Cob alone. (Not talking about the undead area in cob, because I didn't get to coin there on the toon in question.)

So after 9 months or about after paying Brad (9 months @ $13.90(gold and premium guild hall)) I would have paid $150.10 I have paid for my hits, eps and others for yps as I coined. And so I could level up one level! Then I finally would have gotten to level if my son hadn't rerolled my healer. So to my point.

The changes I would suggest in making

1. Reduce the amount of coin needed to buy hits/eps...this is suppose to be a benefit not a torment. (Yeah more relooking and recoding)

2. Redo the buffs such as abs, es, (healer buffs ) so they last longer than ONE MINUTE. Or make them semi-perma buffs...(make it an ability only paid players get) i.e. be able to keep them until you die or log. (more relooking and recoding)

3. Kinda still insanely slow skill gain and pay out as far as skill cost/gain if you aren't a permnant member of the Pillars Room Club. (more relooking and recoding)

4. Take out aging :(. I never did like it for the 7 plus years I played the game actively why would people age in a fantasy world? It's almost like fishing in a game....I age in real life I don't need to be reminded about it when I log on a game (fishing to me is not necessary in a game...kinda why would anyone put that in as part of a game because it's much more fun to do in real life!) Only reason why aging is in the game IMO is to make people stay on longer back when drak was an hourly rate looking for pots...now the game has grown so much aging SHOULD be taken out of the crit equation. (more recoding and relooking.)

These things IMO would make the game playable instead of torturous. I know everyone who reads this is BIG Drak fan, and even some of you have spent that time farming the coin, items and exp, and such...My hats off to you. I just can't spend 9 months coining for one toon to be uber in drak.

Those who plan to post "If you don't like it quit." posts I don't play drakkar that often, and I am posting suggestions that might help the game and giving the facts that some might not be aware of. No I'm not trying to take away from the player base. My opinions are my own not those of in my guild, so don't think badly of them because of MY opinion. I might even get flamed by them. :P Again these are suggestions and are not meant as an ultimatum...after all I am just one player.

Astrid
Last edited by Astrid_RIP on Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIE, EVIL MACE DUDE!-+

Braindead

Replying to Topic 'Perma ES and ABS Buffs'

Post by Braindead »

Eh, only thing I really have to comment on is #4, about removing aging. Aging in the game is a means of class balance. Some classes have skills that are very powerful and not intended to be used for everyday grunting and coining. Now, they can be used, but as far as the balance goes, there is a downside to using them constantly. Chance of a heart attack at ancient and needing to find a yp. That's the balance to having a powerful ability and using it constantly.

Longbeard

Post by Longbeard »

Originally posted by Astrid_RIP

These things IMO would make the game playable instead of torturous.
Unfortunately it is intended that, only the toughest would survive, and only mostly insane would advance past Nork school <g>

Description of a fun event in Drakkar: "Back to school!"
As opposed to "Back on the beach" or "back in the bar" or even "Back into bed"

That's Drakkar you know it, we take pleasure in torture!

Wizdrone

Post by Wizdrone »

I agree with the notion of removing aging. As for balnce no other toon ages as fast as a mentalist or healer and are more powerful than either. This along with the cost of upwards of $40.00/ month for the whole game for all 4 toons is why I have left. I may return if their is change. I truly love this game and played on IEN as well. And I know of others who have left for the same reasons so I am not alone. In the meen time have a great day and Happy Hunting all who are still here. For an example I know of a lvl 20/18 paladin who is still very young and is spec'd in longsword. He still plays. I had a 19/18 mentalist who aged after 15-30 minutes using energy spear. No balance here and he can solo stuff that would one shot my ment. He says but when your ment gets to lvl 35 you will be as good if not better than his lvl 20 paladin. Again I say no balance here. And at middle age a ment gets stunned repeatedly, I do not wish to see what it is like at old age. and yes i had the good gear. Had to pay for it to get it but i had it.

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

40 bucks a month if you pay for all crits with ugh and have gold... Not required...
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

>> no other toon ages as fast as a mentalist or healer and are more powerful than either <<

Back when I was grunting my pally to skill 30, it was not unusual to go through 2 yps in one evening. The flip side is I and my party members enjoyed excellent *unpaid* skill gains.

Also, once a mentalist reaches a certain skill level, dependence on rapid aging spells decreases a lot.

Not to start an arguement, I just want to point out that the aging "problem" is a bit more complicated and can affect multiple classes at different times in their development.

For a Paladin, if they want to play with their most powerful attack, going from young to very old every day or two, faster if hasted, is the penalty that must be paid.

On the topic: many mentalist buffs, when cast on other players, expire well before the same buff expires on the mentalist. Not sure if that is a bug or a feature, but it sure would be nice if both lasted the same amount of time. This was a mentalist can just recast a buff on everyone when it expires on themselves.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Eej

Post by Eej »

On the topic: many mentalist buffs, when cast on other players, expire well before the same buff expires on the mentalist. Not sure if that is a bug or a feature, but it sure would be nice if both lasted the same amount of time. This was a mentalist can just recast a buff on everyone when it expires on themselves.

IM sure buffs cast on other players are cast at half the skill level ,which explains why they run out faster
Eejit_______KAM
Eezy_______KAM
Zneek______KAM
Ragwyrmm__KAM

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

eh, buffs on others expire in the same amount of time as buffs cast on yourself.

Unless it was changed in the past 6 months or so, which i doubt.

I know im not the only one that timed lair buffs by casting them on myself first, and then refresshing them in sequence as they started to blink on me.

-Yeti
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?