IceBreath and paralyzing effect

If you have an idea post it here
Mihey

IceBreath and paralyzing effect

Post by Mihey »

I always thought IceBreath should have a chance to paralyze... You know, freezing.

Now that would be a turnout; would make iceflows and nork sanquins deadly if one does not watch them closely.

Nowadays, everyone wears a kitty or snr to negate damage. Let's have a reason to fear the sanquins and iceworms once again (after that enmiss damage ;)).

Willpower and constitution should be used for saves.

On other side, this would make the IB discipline useful for mentalists and fighter/mentalists; firebreath may be more effective and conveinent, but icebreath would be a way to stop half the zoo from hitting you for a couple rounds.

Of course, furry stuff should be immune to the effect; such as yetis, wolves, bears et cetera.

And barbarians wearing the fur. ;)
Mihey__PHNX

djcruella

Replying to Topic 'IceBreath and paralyzing effect'

Post by djcruella »

Interesting idea. Why not? Healers have stun. I know my ment uses firebreath almost exclusively to using icebreath when trying to thin down a zoo. I probably use FireBreath 1000 times more often than icebreath. Funny that firebreath costs 50EP and overall seems to do more damage than icebreath at a cost of 55EP.

The only places I've had any use for icebreath is with fire related crits - most notably Alerian desert and SE 1/4 of the Alerian clicker dungeon. At skill 21, my icebreath barely scratches ninjas in the Cob desert.:(

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

ok great idea to make us fear the little crits the ones that used to be ownage untill we found the gear to defeat them < yes i accually like the idea > it brings back the challege while hunting in the ice flows <other than the mysterious hexes that ice the heck outa ya and take alot of ur hps depending on what prots you have>. two things tho... if you improve icebreath you improve ments ice <may be used more than fire givin this> .... and two it would be annoying to people <like blobpope blinding in ud5 :( > but would bring about a feeling of " oh great i lost my twig to frore ... hope i dont get paralyzed"

other than that i love the idea :D

ZhouYu
Title: Paladin of AWESOME

Post by ZhouYu »

Here's the thing: FB costs less than IB, so if you only want to get rid of a zoo quickly, you FB it, if you want to paralyze them, IB 'em!

However, increasing the price of IB by 5 might make it worthwhile to use FB if this was in...
The music I want to hear is once again, whispered in my ear.

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

5 ep doesnt matter at all really

-Yeti
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?

PieterPost

Post by PieterPost »

I think it's a good idea, but balancing issues are probably at stake...
Like, imagine a skill 30 ment using IB.. maybe the ice boosts would increase chance of freezing too, so a skill 30 would probably freeze entire zoos... I think it'd be really cool to have this implemented, but for the sake of balancing the game the freeze-% should be really low (that is, the chance of freezing a crit).
I too use firebreath all the time, and never use icebreath (mostly because it doesn't have a cool sound like FB!)

Nemesis

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

I thought of the chance to freezing a crit depending on its save roll.

Crits used to the cold environment, such as furry animals, yetis etc., would be nearly immune, while fire-based crits would be prone...

So, IB in desert would likely freeze 90% of the zoos, while it would be completely inefficent in iceflows...

As per normal NPCs, I guess it should be a so-so chance.
Mihey__PHNX

Frozboz

Post by Frozboz »

Would be a nightmare to balance this. For starters, the only class that can stun multiple crits is the healer, and that not until skill 18. You're proposing that a class that cannot stun at all until skill 14 (espear) and not reliably until the espear boost suddenly now gets a chance to stun multiple crits AND damage them at skill 13 for half the EP consumption as PWS?

Sorry, as "cool" as this is, it's a bad gameplay decision as it throws mid level skilled healer usefulness out the window.

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

While this sounds nice in theory, in practise I think it would be hard to implement, and as much as I hate to agree with him, Froz is right. Icebreath should not stun/freeze crits at any level below where the healers gain PWS. In fact, if this were put in place, I wouldn't let it even start to kick in until skill 26, the first ice boost.

People downplay the role of Icebreath when in fact it is more damaging than firebreath and why it costs more in ep to cast. At skill 24 I was killing desert ninjas with IB where firebreath was barely touching them. But these crits have a ton of hp anyway and are pretty resistant to both discs.

One of the first things I noticed in entering cob and starting out in timmy caves was the frequency of the twigs being dropped. Ice seemed to drop twice as often as fire and seemed to be more effective for a little crit to use ice to get the timmy cave crits down to a one shot point. The amount of ice twigs, in my mind at least, seemed to be saying that things here don't like ice. And generally speaking that seems to be true.

Icebreath does work well in cob. Sure it may take you 55 firebreaths to kill that pillar macer at your skill, or 49 icebreaths... The simple fact is as you skill up, it gets better. There are crits in places like ud2 that die in 3 firebreaths or die in 2 icebreaths at skill 26. When you're smaller the difference becomes lost in the volume of discs you need to cast to take down the zoo. But it becomes pretty apparent when you get bigger.

If you're going to add a "freeze" component to ice, I'd suggest putting it in place at the first ice boost, and never allow it to freeze all of the crits.

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

Gasthrax

Post by Gasthrax »

or..maybe put a very small percentage of chance of it actually workin, something like 10-30% chance.. then that would make it actually make a difference, but not an overweighing one :)
<-Blackhawk->

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

hey froz ;)

yeah lets give uther paralyse aswell, give him blind and lightening cause thats really annoying :)

oh and i forgot lets give scare to winder wolf's cause theyre scary

*Merlz*:sarc
Last edited by Merlin on Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elessar: karbeck is a sweety

Darge
Title: The Raging Storm

Post by Darge »

froz cant hear you anymore, seeing as that was about 3 months ago he posted
SIN
My father was a wolf, I'm a kinsman of the slain, Sworn to rise again
I will bring salvation, punishment and pain, The hammer of hate is our faith
Power and dominion are taken by the will, By divine right hail and kill

trav: you bad bad girl

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

Heh, yeah, i was at first surprised to see him replying to this, but then i realized this is an older post that somebody had dug up