Warrior Class

If you have an idea post it here
Stormwind

Warrior Class

Post by Stormwind »

Some folks have been talking about adding stuff to the fighter class.

My suggestion would be to make a new multi-class called "Warrior" or something along those lines. Put a cap on when you can dedicate like the f/m. Then you can tack on special abilities to this class. Make the class unaligned. This would also prevent pallies from gaining new abilities when they lose pally-hood. Warrior dedication is one way, you can't lose it like you do pally-hood.

This would allow the "Fighter" class to be a learning class and then each class would have to make a choice of which way to go. If you capped the level for dedication at 20, would also allow existing pallies to convert before they hit 20.

Some Special Attack ideas... (Note that I'm not sure if these are all feasible code wise.. just stuff that I came up with)

Break: Would allow a Warrior to break his opponents weapon on a successful attack. Similar to armorstrike but focuses only on the weapon and the break would be immediate.

Bladestorm: Advanced multi-strike with higher number of attacks and able to MS targets on adjacent squares.

Fake: An attack that if successful lures the target into a vulnerable position for following round, thus making it easier for the Warrior and party members to strike.

More ideas if Brad wants to take the party thing further...
ShieldWall: A Warrior can use his shield to Protect party members. The more Warriors in the party doing this the greater the protection to the entire party. (AC bonus for entire party)
Last edited by Stormwind on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."

GhostGuest

Replying to Topic 'Warrior Class'

Post by GhostGuest »

I would have to say that UNfortunately, that createing such a "offshoot" class is probably the only way to ever hope to get a true "pure" fighter class. I truely hope ...BRAD... impliments such a "new" class. It just might draw me back to playing the game.
Last edited by GhostGuest on Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA: Woodenkarl, Sparksenblade, Aspex, Brainless, Stickums, Lessmental and Feingurs
Hhhmmmmmmmm............
3Y's 11E's 3H's 11A's

Eons

Post by Eons »

All brad would need to do is improve the abilitys of the figher Class. i would think
what would be real nice is to see the current merchant class filled out, maybe the use of the streetwise slot (currently not working) to merchant where the higer in skill the better prices they can get on items plus they could have like sence ability.
With there already being 4 ftr classes: ftr, pally, ma, & barb i dont see how adding an addationl warrior class would help.

Yeti

Post by Yeti »

the fighter class is not really much of a class. and from what i have been told brad is unable to change it, and even if he COULD change it, it would be unfair. then pallies who lost align would get a new set of abilities. Making a seperate offshoot of the fighter class would prevent pallies being able to go back and forth from fighter to pally depending on which set of abilities suited their needs at the time

-Yeti
If Practice makes perfect, and nobody's perfect, then why practice?
If ignorance is bliss, why aren’t more people happy?
What are those little things on the end of your shoelaces called?
and finally...

If money is the root of all evil then how come churches ask for it?

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Originally posted by Eons

All brad would need to do is improve the abilitys of the figher Class. i would think
what would be real nice is to see the current merchant class filled out, maybe the use of the streetwise slot (currently not working) to merchant where the higer in skill the better prices they can get on items plus they could have like sence ability.
With there already being 4 ftr classes: ftr, pally, ma, & barb i dont see how adding an addationl warrior class would help.
Eons... You cannot add stuff directly to the fighter class. First of all Brad has indicated that it is next to impossible because of core code issues. Second you don't want to reward a pally for falling from grace with a different set of abilities. Creating a warrior multi-class like a pally or a F/M resolves all those issues.
Last edited by Stormwind on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."

Atom
Title: Member Stylish Club

Post by Atom »

Maybe pallys should always have to stay pally once they dedicate with no option of going to fighter even on align loss. They would have to dedicate by lvl 20 similar to f/m and pre lvl 20 fighters and pallys would be very similar, but after lvl 20 is where they would each have unique abilites. Fighters could have more hits less foci, none of the defensive ones only offensive or something along that line. Could even make it so if you lose align as a pally you are forever doomed to be a figther.<G>

Stormwind

Post by Stormwind »

Hmmm, maybe instead of "Warrior" it could be "Knight". After all knights don't have to be "good". Also would kinda work with the Frore scenario. You could be knighted by the King or something and be a Defender of Frore/Nork. Maybe even have to travel to Aleria and be Knighted by one of the Three powers there based on your current alignment.

Anarion

Post by Anarion »

another thing that would prevent this class switching is by making it so that if u dedicate to pally, from that point on, you can only be a pally or a fallen pally. Fallen pally would be the same as a fighter now, but it can't dedicate to warrior/knight/w.e. and once it becomes g/g it will be a pally. An interesting note on knights, befor becoming knights of kingdoms and such, knights were orginally kind of seen as bullies.

shadeth

Post by shadeth »

I think the idea that "once a paladin always a paladin" is good. So that if you lose your "g/g" alignment you could still use your armor/weapons/trainers, but you do not get the willpower/focus.

Note: Before "Focus" was delivered the player could try out the paladin class for a long time, and then later try out a class with "disciplines" (fighter/ment) without a reroll. But now, since the "focus" disciplines are part of the paladin class, and the fighter/ment class minimum has be created, I would say "once a paladin always a paladin". [2 cents added]

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

Something is rotten in Denmark (no offense intended to our resident Danes) ...

Why should a warrior be better than a paladin? Why should there be nothing that reduces their abilities?

A) rework paladin focii such that they are more relevant to a paladin's goodness or blessed state

B) make the more skill related focii exactly that ... available to any class that attains the weapon skill .. parry, armor strike, multistrike whatever ... naturally zerked states and backstabbing would continue to work only with straight attack ... the reduced number of attacks recieved by non-fighters would continue to be balancing factor ...

C) FM's recieve AUGMENT at xp levels 19 & 24 at 19 the FM trainer would give them ability to channel the damage effect of enmiss thru their weapon of choice adding to weapon damage ... espear at xp level 24

You may count this as a resounding "NO!" re adding Warrior class
Last edited by Ambrose on Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

I'd rather see a more spellcasting classes than sticks... why not combine them?

For example a shaman, barbarian/healer hybrid, templar, paladin/healer hybrid etc. - and make those high level required (so no ep maxxing early on to get huge ep later on).

As for the warrior class, it would suffice to make a "defender" class derived from fighter, that would be geared towards constitution and endurance rather than damage. Name it a guard or defender. While paladins are offensive based (despite all the defensive foci), defenders would be defensive based. They should also get special shield skills and be adept with shields. Such a class would be very welcome on lair hunts or in extremely dangerous areas, where they would act as baits solely, since their melee would be on the fighter's level. And barbarians could be given more offensive power and less defensive, though I still stand by the higher regeneration rate of barbarians.
Mihey__PHNX