"Subtractive" Disciplines

If you have an idea post it here
shadeth

"Subtractive" Disciplines

Post by shadeth »

I haven't been able to progress very far in Nameless yet, so don't know if the "Primal" disciplines are of this type, but I was recently thinking about ways to make new lairs and disciplines. Here is one of the ideas that came about...

"Subtractive" psionics: Disciplines that [color yellow]temporarily[/color] reduce stats, skills, and/or experience. The same disc cast upon the target deepens the effects and time in effect. These disciplines are "outer" calculations and so would be done last. Namely, any class buffs that occur are calculated first and then subtractive disciplines are used upon that.

Examples: (cast like powerword, namely "form subtractive hits", "form sub attacks", etc.)

[color orange]Hits[/color]: Reduces the healable hits of all hostiles by 100*powerlevel, but never kills the target. Drinking an IH (or when Heal is cast), the target's health never goes above the power level of the subtraction. [Barb has 3000 hits, disc was cast 25 times, Barb effectively has 500 hits] [color yellow]Duration[/color]: 2 rounds from last casting.

[color orange]Attacks[/color]: Reduces the attacks per round of all hostiles by 1*powerleve, but never going below 1.[color yellow]Duration[/color]: 2 rounds from last casting.

And so on, for things like EPS, normal stats, and non-subtractive disciplines (like ES, Aid, etc.)

This would allow lair monsters to not have to be so huge, as is the expected future of lair monsters, and still be formittable foes. And allow the lair minions, or activations, to contribute in different combinations, during the fight.

ShaDeth

Frozboz

Replying to Topic '

Post by Frozboz »

Those abilities are found in other games, and they are usually referred to as "debuffs". Some debuffs lower attack speed, attack rating, magic resistance, armor class, and the like. They work well.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Replying to Topic '

Post by Brad »

Ya never know what you may find in nameless.

Roland

Replying to Topic '

Post by Roland »

actually, such a thing already exists in Drak. If you are semi-cob-small, the leeches in the swamps cast a spell called weaken on you.
SirRoland,
Follower of The Old Code
"Call what you need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword, my service are yours !"

shadeth

Replying to Topic '

Post by shadeth »

Originally posted by Roland
actually, such a thing already exists in Drak. If you are semi-cob-small, the leeches in the swamps cast a spell called weaken on you.
Roland,

Only at first glance.

Subtractive psionics is a vastly different mechanic to the standard psionics. It is loosely based on the "dot" principle, currently implemented in new Nameless scenario.

Once you imagine some lair and dungeon battles, keeping my original post's rules in place, you should quickly see that it is a whole new enchilada.

It should also call out to you another new form of psionics, used to combat and quest balance the "subtractive". (Non-spoiler: No more hints will be given by me on this subject though, in case Brad has implemented something like it - as per his "you never know" post.)