Tied gear

If you have an idea post it here
Gatade

Tied gear

Post by Gatade »

Dont you hate it when you're hunting and lose something important jarred hands or just accidentally drop it and not notice or die and cant find where? Well my suggestion is that when you sense a tied item it tells you who it belongs to so that if it gets found all you have to do is sense it and find the persons DZ name.

Doro

Replying to Topic 'Tied gear'

Post by Doro »

Nice idea !

I still have a Reggie in my locker if anyone is missing it.
Last edited by Doro on Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ho

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

This was suggested long ago... many suggestions; one of them involved a NPC that would run a "Lost & Found" store ;)
Mihey__PHNX

Gatade

Post by Gatade »

yeah well Im suggesting it again cause its a good idea...the lost and found NPC sounds stupid but yeah my idea rules :D

Mars
Admin
Admin

Post by Mars »

For account privacy reasons, I don't think anything that gives out account names will be implemented.

Doro

Post by Doro »

A modification then: -

Lost and Found NPC who accepts ALL gear found, but only GIVEs gear to the owner.

No names need be mentioned throughout the whole transaction.
ho

Rosey

Post by Rosey »

I agree with the npc or 'Lost Property Shop' idea I posted on this back in IEN. Hand the tied item to the shopkeeper and maybe receive a reward to encourage people to drop stuff off- though it could be abused I imagine by continually returning tied items, someone more techy than I would have to think of a way round that, but if you lose stuff you could go and claim it - would save on locker space for those that are looking after stuff they found and also wouldn't be dependent upon you both being in game at the same time.

Rosey__RIP
Last edited by Rosey on Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Guild Website http://www.ripguild.com

Ztinktoof

Post by Ztinktoof »

Drakkar Pawn Shop.

Sell tied gear, anyone's tied gear, to the pawn shop and get $$.

You can buy back your own gear for the same amount or more.

Incentive to turn in tied gear. Save locker space. No exploit that I can think of.
Ztinktoof
Drakkars Moral Standard
Avatar (C) WIlliam Li: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/w/i/william/
KaM Guild Website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ctanzio/kam.html

Ragnoker

Post by Ragnoker »

Originally posted by Ztinktoof

Drakkar Pawn Shop.

Sell tied gear, anyone's tied gear, to the pawn shop and get $$.

You can buy back your own gear for the same amount or more.

Incentive to turn in tied gear. Save locker space. No exploit that I can think of.

LOL, "No exploit that I can think of"

Just think of all the newbies and those without the best intentions grabbing or stealing any players gear they could get ahold of just to sell to that "Drakkar Pawn Shop" and the resulting whining from the populace. :p

I do agree though that a central place to drop off tied gear so that othres could claim is a good idea. I just think that there should be no reward for turning it in other than the satisfaction of helping another. ;)

Ragnoker_PHNX :D
http://www.phoenixguild.net
"What -- Me Worry?"

Migam

Post by Migam »

I think I recall suggesting this but suspect I was not the first one to.

If worried others may grab fresh dp or multiple dropoffs of same gear for the reward to the point of abuse, make the reward very small or not at all. The very fact that "It could happen to you too" may cause players to just dump gear there as they already do at lockers, etc. I don't think many players will walk past a dp and ignore it. As you check in, you see if any of your stuff's been dropped off. Of course, how do you handle alts? 1 Nork Lost and Found per alt? And Cob and Nameless versions?

The only abuse I can foresee is using the Lost and Found as free add'l lockers. Drop the goods there with a free acct and it sits there until whatever deadline is set.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

aleria?
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Gatade

Post by Gatade »

Erm not have their account name just the name that the gear tied to when picked up or tanned

Mihey

Post by Mihey »

Hmm. Well, I will hit the nail, if no one else will.

Imagine a "Lost & Found" store with a npc standing in it.
You talk to him, say you have found something, hold that item; if it is tied to someone else (sorry to non-tied stuff owners), the npc will take it and dump into the hidden warehouse.
When the owner of the found item would come to the npc and told him he has lost something, the NPC would check if the item was tied to that crit's account; if it was, he would hand the item over.
Would have to repeat for each item.

No rewards. But if you find stuff and pass it to the l&f npc, the real owner would eventually find it there and praise the "unknown finder", promising to hand anything he finds to this npc... and we've got a working system. The safety of tied items would be ensured, as long as there would be conscious players that dont mind posting the item.

Again, no rewards, no knowledge of accounts and stuff (the NPC would just compare the owner and item's quietly) etc.
Mihey__PHNX

Doro

Post by Doro »

Just the slot name of the player would work, Lost & Found NPC could either hold for collection or you could give to player (if possible).

Names are already mentioned by a certain mother in Timmy town already so no changes to secrecy there !

Only drawback I can think of is that valuable items could be held for ransom if you know the slot name.

OR

NPC could take gear for collection AND THEN say who it belongs to?!?

As pots have value, it could be fun to reward a finder with Drak coin, but with no compulsion.
ho

Kanak

Post by Kanak »

Originally posted by Mihey

This was suggested long ago... many suggestions; one of them involved a NPC that would run a "Lost & Found" store ;)
The idea is nice but here is the rub. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore. Its part of the game to keep track of what you are holding, where you are fighting and certainly where you die. In DZ we already have gimme gear galore, a free minimum work skill system and protection from the antisocial acts of others.

Is it too little to ask that if you dp or loose something that you go back and just get it?
If you can't find it is it too little to ask that you suffer the embarassment of asking for help. Add the NPC and people that already have little regard for thier gear will just wait until it shows up.

What happened to leaving gear where it fell. People seem complled to drag it back to town now. (Sure if the reset button is about to be pushed it makes sense.)

The only true benifit of such an NPC would be to sort out huge tied piles from hunts gone bad. So might as well add a disk to send the whole pile straight to the pawn shop:D

Note: After making this post I reserve the right to whine up help for the dp I'm just sure to drop tonite.
Last edited by Kanak on Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnoker

Post by Ragnoker »

Guys, following is the best way to handle returning gear to someone using an npc imho.
( Not sure how hard it would be to code though )

Tied geared is returned to an npc that knows who it belongs to and deposits into a hidden warehouse.

The owner of the tied gear goes to that npc to get his/her gear and the npc asks that owner if they would like to give a reward ( not mandatory ). If the owner feels appreciative they deposit coin with the npc.

That coin is then deposited by the npc to the bank account of the peep that turned in the gear and they would receive a message that they received a return reward ( no names given ).

Ragnoker_PHNX :D
Just an idea but like I said,,, not sure how hard it would be to code :sarc
http://www.phoenixguild.net
"What -- Me Worry?"

Migam

Post by Migam »

Kanak, I understand and agree fully with what you say about responsibility and retrieving your own pile. I'm thinking more of lairs where you don't have the spare gear to survive retrieval like enmiss/protassault gear in UD, lairs that require an item to enter which took you awhile to get/find, etc. And all here have seen the results of someone asking for help to retrieve a dp.

But as it appears players will not leave dps where they lie, a Lost and Found is more viable then piling up lockers and GH with gear. Esp when those good intentioned players twig from alt 1 hunting ground to alt 2 or GH to drop ths gear, forgetting that it may belong to a free acct.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
---Pathfinder

Dedbob

Post by Dedbob »

Not gonna happen.. ;)
However, I have a simple solution for the mixed tied gear problems in mass dp's, picking up wrong shields, taking a tied weapon and not finding out it isnt yours untill you try to swing and drop it who-knows-where..

If you pick up an object that isnt tied to you, have the game tell you "That doesnt belong to you."
Thats it. Can still pick it up and take it somwhere (DP recovery), but at least you know whats yours and what isnt.
Last edited by Dedbob on Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Migam

Post by Migam »

If you pick up an object that isnt tied to you, have the game tell you "That doesnt belong to you."
Huh! That is a very good idea. Since this game has no problem telling you your hands are full when you just click and drag any item, this ia likely a great solution to identifying your gear instead of looking for the nearest crit trying to hit a crit only to find yourself barehanded.

Of course, with players still moving dps away from where you died in an effort to help...

At least move it outside of a dangerous lair or if found at a downstairs, move it up a floor if you feel the need to help.
---Pathfinder

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

disable popups...
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

Leave the bloody dp where you find it.

Every player, to my knowledge, has access to these forums and can post that he cannot get his own dp. THEN you can play hero ... after someone asks.

just my opinion

Acaciam

Post by Acaciam »

I agree with Ambrose here. If its not yours, leave it on the ground. It makes it harder for someone to look for something they lost and find the person that lockered it if they don't use the forums.

I also think that the current system of leaving it and letting the person get some help to get it back or lockering it and posting in the lost/found forum works far well enough than for Brad to waste time writing up code for a NPC that will do the same thing.
Communication End.

Rosey

Post by Rosey »

I agree in principle that dps should be left where they are. But there are other occasions where it would be useful to hand a tied item into an NPC. I have seen on reset day gear or shields laying around timmy or stuck on counters and have lockered them on occasion. For those items it would be good to have this facility.

Rosey__RIP
RIP Guild Website http://www.ripguild.com

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

one possible way to be abused is... get a friend to give all of your items to the vendor so when you want them, you can get them... but, to fix this you can't have more than 10-20 items for a certain account (nork/aleria and cob, not sure about nameless so i won't worry) maybe a 5k donation to the "holding" of the item...

it will have an interface like the normal vendors like in nork under where you first start... then you press the talking heads and you will either put the tied (other players) gear in the warehouse or he will check if you have any items in the warehouse... if you give something to him, it will tell you the name of the character last worn/used by... or if you do have something in the warehouse, it will show a box like the other shops (like darwin) with all of your tied items in a line... just drag them to your hands or belt/pouch and might ask for money depending on how valuable it is...
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

I was trying to come up with a way to restrict the 'value' of the gear turned in so that the NPC is not flooded with combat rings that were checked and discarded (for instance). Simplest would be to use the appraised value; but I am pretty sure that I recall that 5/5 rings appraise for much less than other combat rings. And the value of yeti furs is inverted regards their inherent value (3000 for small; 500 for large). All of which suggests that it will be more trouble than it is worth.

Maybe a couple hexes protected from resets will turn out to be the best answer.