Password for creating chars

If you have an idea post it here
Migam

Password for creating chars

Post by Migam »

I had suggested before an optional password system for launching game (to prevent someone from playing while you step away) or for chat room (to still see and archive chats while you go out, etc. without having someone get you in trouble). All optional so that those who do not want the inconvenience can forego it (some complain about the seconds while game launches)

How about this? A password for creating a char. Not inconvenient as this is not a regular activity but it prevents someone from screwing up your slots through RR with no chance of recovery. If this could be a password apart from acct password, even if your system was hacked or your acct password was found, you'd have some protection. They could still raid your equip and locker and suck fate pools dry though. Coupled with launch password, no one could do even that. And with a chat password, no one could get you banned.

Just a thought.
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Replying to Topic 'Password for creating chars'

Post by Ambrose »

I am having trouble imagining the environment where you play. If you have these concerns, then I would suggest de-selecting 'remember password' in DZ and shutting down game every time you "step away". Or unplug keyboard & mouse and take them with you. LOL

GhostGuest

Post by GhostGuest »

Hmmm ... Well i can imagine, and have experienced how younger siblings, sons/daughters, cousins, nephews/neices, Frat Brothes/Roomates, etc can get onto your comp., and totaly mess you up.. it happens. BUT there is a rather esay and quick way to protect your comp, it's Windows Screen Saver Password. RIGHT click on your "wall paper" and select properties. On that window, go to the screen saver tab and select the password option, then APPLY. If you dont want to wait for the screen saver to kick in, then dont hit "ok" after ya hit apply. Instead, click on the " Preview" button,... and whala!! instant password protectd screensaver!.
AKA: Woodenkarl, Sparksenblade, Aspex, Brainless, Stickums, Lessmental and Feingurs
Hhhmmmmmmmm............
3Y's 11E's 3H's 11A's

Migam

Post by Migam »

You misunderstand, Ambrose (or just desire to be contrary :D ) .

There is no way to stay logged in to archive DZ chat except to be, well, logged in. I leave DZ chat on at work and sometimes chat or later save/read through for information and factoids Since, I'm may be out of the office, I use a free acct to chat. Rather use my pay acct which lends credibility when I give tips concerning pay-only topics but not at the cost of having a practical joker RR my main char not realizing the time spent on it or that DZ may not or cannot restore. How would you react if it happened to you? And by the way, I never select "Save password" but many here do and will get burned, you betcha.

I hadn't considered the password prot screensaver but that would solve the prob.

I now return to the bomb shelter with keyboard and mouse safely hidden under mattress. I hear sirens warning of a malicious RR'er approaching. :p
Starfire: There are two wolves fighting in each man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate.
Ghost: Which one wins?
Starfire: The one you feed the most.
---Pathfinder

Ichor

Post by Ichor »

As an addendum to what GhostGuest suggested, after setting a password for your screensaver, you can then make a shortcut for that screensaver that you can then just click whenever you get up from your desk. Instant on. I did something similar to what you are doing at my last job.

Ichor

Ambrose
Title: Always Right

Post by Ambrose »

While being contrary CAN be a lotta fun. it IS frowned upon by game management for you to be afk while logged on. And the lobby comes up pretty quick. ... not to mention that when I was in management, I frowned on people playing while "at work". ;-)

Ambrose

screen saver pass seems to be your answer ... I had never found a way to 'instant on' it