swim skill?

If you have an idea post it here
Demonaic

swim skill?

Post by Demonaic »

how's this for an idea?
replace climbing with swimming.
Then merely 'drowning' slowy increases skill... say .02% per drown fully paid.
at skill 5, you get 50% normal dmg from water, and move 2 hexes.
at skill 10 you get 25% from water and move 3 hexes.
at skill 15 you recieve no damage
at skill 18, you can use the 4 hex bs or charge through water w/o resp....

Would anyone else like to see something like this implemented?
-------------------------------------
LadyTrash
aka Frodo
ICQ - 112870456
DZ - ThatCorpse999

Mars
Admin
Admin

Replying to Topic 'swim skill?'

Post by Mars »

That's what Respirate boots and disc is for.

Giving this as a "teachable" skill to every class will diminish/eliminate the disc for mentalists.

V/R

Mars

Emily

Post by Emily »

I think it's a good idea.

Even on IEN, where water had no damage, resp was a much needed discipline for the movement. Ever try a levi hunt with movement limited to 1 hex per round?
Having "swim" as a skill would still make respirate a much needed discipline due to the difficulty of gaining a secondary skill, the need for boots or helms of greater need than resp gear and because even at skill 5 as in the suggestion, there is still damage though somewhat reduced.

To say that such a thing would totaly eliminate the need for resp, would sound like it is assumed that secondary skills were cheap and easy to gain, that no ment skills are at some point useless (are we forgetting how infrequent door is used when illusion lasts much longer? ...and how often do larger ments use stuff like Fire-prot and ice-prot after they have decent gear to cover it?)...

Even with swim skill, there will be people asking for respirate... those who do not have the skill developed, those who cannot afford the time to develope "yet another secondary skill", those who are smaller or who might need better helm or boots than resp gear and those who would still be taking 25%-50% water damage.
Last edited by Emily on Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

buho

Post by buho »

Why not having resp bracers or rings? Unwearing dancers or EP/HP helms to wear resp boots or helms is a hard trade off.

buho.

PS: No one of my crits will apply for 'swimming skill', secondary needed skills are so hard just now, not to talk about a skill I can have with a device, buying scrolls or having a ment in party.

Lago

Post by Lago »

Originally posted by Mars_Sysop

That's what Respirate boots and disc is for.

Giving this as a "teachable" skill to every class will diminish/eliminate the disc for mentalists.

V/R

Mars
Not to mention also diminish/eliminate the disc for thieves as well.
LagodonpinDDOA 26|22|22(longsword) Seeker of Knowledge
"Being a Thief, that CAN be done!"
Lago_______DOA 20/17 Healer
Drakkarzone: Lago

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

I can live with the drowning issue. But its unfair that the rules apply only to players and not to crits. I've seen damaged crits run off yeti island with no heart, into water, where by rights, they should have died from drowning. But no, drowning is a player problem only.

If you're going to make water damaging, then it must be damaging across the board.

Morgar

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar

Thundar__RELM

Post by Thundar__RELM »

Actually that would be really bad. Think about it. You are killing crits and they run into the water. Boom no xp or skill for you. Compound that by alot and you end up losing. I like crits only taking damage from what I hit them with. Even worse think about levi about to die and steps up on the road made for crits(why I don't know but seems like a good example) and dies(would only be fair that things that like the water take damage on land). That would be alot of xp gone.

Thundar__RELM

funns

Post by funns »

well levi armor might have resp on it =)

and i would like to see some water damage go down as you get more lvls because 39 hp a round isnt nice from just standing in water
Last edited by funns on Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purg

Post by purg »

i think if your going to have water damage, it should be an increasing sort of thing, first "drown" 5hp, next 10, next 15, next 20, and so on and so forth, this would help lighten the Drown issue a little bit, if you go up on land or get hit with resp the "drown counter" will reset its self.

dman

Post by dman »

The best of both worlds would be to let players learn to swim in the manner mentioned in the first post, but make it as a player learns to swim takes less damage down to no damage but limit the move rate. If a player wants 3 or more hex move rate must have resp. helm or boots or have a ment cast resp. on them.

This would not eliminate resp for ments or resp gear ie. helms, boots etc.
Subzero_RELM

From a world far beyond the barren waste lands the Beholder brings you the Light

Morgar

Post by Morgar »

Originally posted by Thundar__RELM

Actually that would be really bad. Think about it. You are killing crits and they run into the water. Boom no xp or skill for you. Compound that by alot and you end up losing. I like crits only taking damage from what I hit them with. Even worse think about levi about to die and steps up on the road made for crits(why I don't know but seems like a good example) and dies(would only be fair that things that like the water take damage on land). That would be alot of xp gone.

Thundar__RELM
I disagree, this is no different than using a poison weapon and the crit dies of the poison. It happens now, the crit dies of poison, no exp, no skill. If your poison gained you skill or exp, I'd agree, but it doesn't. The game needs to be leveled in terms of water damage. Either it hurts all, or it hurts no one.

Morgar

Useful Drakkar files for Heros and Cowards: http://www.northernwebs.com/drakkar