Powerword Death

If you have an idea post it here
Frozboz

Powerword Death

Post by Frozboz »

*Disclamer*
I love the healer class. It's great, overall well balanced in many situations and great fun to play. I feel like healers contribute much to your average party. I don't wanna get into class balance here in this thread, and don't want this misconstrewed as a baseless whine/rant.

Now, on to the request. It's simple. I don't mind the damage PWD does. Overall it's an okay disc especially in nork and also in cob at high skill. However, it takes HP at random when hitting a player. There's no reason for this little side effect to be on the discipline, at all. My friends and I like to go on an orgy of exp sometimes and use area discs at will. We go red on and off to each other - for everyone else, this isn't a problem. However, while the paladins are MS'ing, ments FB'ing, and MA's are sweeping causing no permanent damage to each other, what am I doing? Sitting there, stroking my big thick staff because I can't PWD anything for fear it will strip hits. I don't EC, since others would have to ditch a significant amount of defense for the EC prot - not to mention crits being scattered/rammed off hex. I can't PWS or even PWH effectively for that matter. So I'm left single-target healing, protting, and basically leeching experience.

All I'm asking for is to let us use the disciplines we're given. Please remove this annoying effect of powerword death.

Thanks,
Frozboz__JIHAD

Dragon

Replying to Topic 'Powerword Death'

Post by Dragon »

Take it from the other angle, everyone else has to single shot as to not turn red to anyone while you can PWD all you want. id rather an area disc that didnt affect grey tagged crits over one that does (not what youre pointing to specifically but you should see the reason in this).

Frozboz

Post by Frozboz »

I see your point, and in most instances you're right. I can PWD in a normal group all day long and not turn red to anyone.. But it makes absolutely no sense for this disc to strip players' hits when they are hostile, which is permanent for players without Goldplan/GH/CH. Can anyone provide a situation where stripping permanent hits is part of some (legal) strategy to build a crit, coin, exp, or hunt? I honestly can't even see using it in a lair to strip a crit's hp either. This effect lessens the range of damage healers can do in some groups, and all I'm asking for is for it to be addressed..

Shaddai

Post by Shaddai »

In both Drak and Kesmai I always wished for some way to flag another player's character "Will not turn red to me no matter what". It doesn't have to make me immune or anything, just a "I know he's gonna hit me with his fireball but I don't care so no need to set off the self defense flag" thing.

Like a pre-emptive permanent hug until I or they log. /frenchkiss? :)

Roland

Post by Roland »

no offense, but I really wouldn't wanna give Yeti a frenchkiss <g>
SirRoland,
Follower of The Old Code
"Call what you need of me. Ask what you will of me. My sword, my service are yours !"

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

I don't think Froz would want to either :o)
Auramancer
That WOLF is up to something SINister.

Frozboz

Post by Frozboz »

Sorry, I know as a City Dweller I look like I follow an alternative lifestyle with those knickers that would make Liberace proud, but I don't swing that way <g>. I'd much rather steal someone's hits than walk up and frenchkiss a frothing barbarian.

Zeddyboy

Post by Zeddyboy »

Whats even worse about this unfortunate side affect is that say i ec or firestorm or take any other hostile action accidentally on another player and turn red to that person. if i then pwd (even though they r still grey to me as they have taken no hostile action) they can still lose hp and i wouldnt even realise id done it :( . this is really annoying, espically if u've been dueling the day b4 and they wander into your hunting area for example.

this results in me having to check every time i party that i am not red to any player. i think this is a huge problem imo :sarc

PieterPost

Post by PieterPost »

I agree that the taking permanent hps effect of PWD serves no purpose and is a pain in the neck sometime (yes, I've lost some hp's to healers going berserk too...), and should be removed.
However, the removal of that side effect still wouldn't make PWD a good spell to use in parties where people show up red to each other, as it would still inflict damage to the party members with every cast, where as people are usually equipped with enough fire/ice prot for the ment not to hurt them, and it's generally hard to hit other players through their cob gear using any weapons.

Just my thoughts.

Drewstr

Post by Drewstr »

I very much so aggree with all these. Imagine...

You are hunting in an area.. you and someon else you have known for a long time hunt together here everday. You firebreath or MS or whatever at will, as you know they are fine with it. One day (you are still red to them) you 2 get into a fight. Your in upper keep or lower, or just about anywhere hunting, or even in tree sitting AFK. This person walks up, overwhelmed with rage, and pwd's you over and over and over.. killing you repetedly.. taking hits every time it happens. You come back later, to find you have 30-40 less hps.. and no idea why.. People have been casting succor and talking for hours.. and you can't see in your screen where anyone took hostile action against you.. You look for a sysop.. none are on. You are holding your gear, so you know it had to have been a player... or maybe your memory is just going hay-wire and you dismiss it as a glitch... Would that suck?

This hasn't happened to me, no, but i have heard stories of similar occurances happening to others in Upper keep just over guild rivalry. Now tell me, why keep something that can cause so much trouble? I'm not asking to delete PWD all together, as its a great disc.. even for skilling. But i don't see the point in allowing things like this to happen.

In Brad's mind this may seem like "the price you pay" for being able to have an area disc that doesn't affect everybody. But there are so many accidental, and intentional, ways to go red to someone, that it seems like more of a punishment than a "drawback" of the disc.

Just my little tidbits on the subject.
Auramancer
That WOLF is up to something SINister.

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

well first thing i say is; Never stay AFK for hours if you can avoid it in anyway.
but yeah, the HP loss on PWD seems pretty useless, it's dangerous enough to PWD your party without them loosing HP anyway :D (especialy since it usualy comes with a PWS ;))
Last edited by Dragonslayer on Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonslayer of PHNX

Crusher

Post by Crusher »

alliance (name)
hug (name)

would seem more efficient like that because in war, people form alliances but still perform friendly fire actions... see?
You'll never win... PLEAD INSANITY!

Drdrunk

Post by Drdrunk »

damage is friendly fire, hp loss is just a useless side effect that had no purpose in the first place.

Demonaic

Post by Demonaic »

Originally posted by Zeddyboy
this results in me having to check every time i party that i am not red to any player. i think this is a huge problem imo :sarc
it's not a huge problem on the new FE, whenever i'm hostile to someone, or someone is hostile to me, i see them as red regardless of who's fault it is. it's actualy a good feature.
-------------------------------------
LadyTrash
aka Frodo
ICQ - 112870456
DZ - ThatCorpse999

Dragonslayer

Post by Dragonslayer »

Originally posted by Demonaic

Originally posted by Zeddyboy
it's not a huge problem on the new FE, whenever i'm hostile to someone, or someone is hostile to me, i see them as red regardless of who's fault it is. it's actualy a good feature.
i think he meant that the problem is that he has to hug, or PWD them.

"bad" thing about the feature is you can't lose alignment unless you're a one-shotting ment.
Dragonslayer of PHNX