Traps vs Corpses

curiousredmonkey

Traps vs Corpses

Post by curiousredmonkey »

When my thief kills an NPC with one of his set traps, there is no corpse for him to search. He earns XP. However, he does not earn loot, platinum, or gold. I do not know if this is be design, but think kills should yield the same result as tier/weapon kills. Especially, since the trap will kill the thief unless he takes extreme precautions that take time and effort.

I used all three types of traps with the same results. No corpse, no loot.

Thanks

Brad
Admin
Admin

Re: Traps vs Corpses

Post by Brad »

Bug...

Dont know why

curiousredmonkey

Cool. I like discovering bugs, so that they can be stomped out.

Let me know if you need me to further test or help during tracking it down. You have my email.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

to be clear, this is "set" traps, right?

curiousredmonkey

I just type "trap e" or "trap n" to set the trap. I didn't use the word "set" when I tested the Refuge trapping. It had been many years since I had used traps. Hope that helps.

BTW, "trap e e" does not set the trap two hexes east of me. The trap is set one hex east of me. Likewise, for any other direction beyond one hex. So, "trap n n n n" will set the trap 1 hex north of me. I don't know if that is by design or a bug.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Guys, in ancient times i thought we had to change this to one hex away because of exploits.

Can someone verify that NO traps work ANYWHERE with multiple positions?

Thanks!

curiousredmonkey

VERIFIED: I bought and tested traps from each thief guildhall, in Nork, Aleria, and Cob: Traps work the same, as reported in Refuge. Namely, "trap e e e e" sets the trap only 1 hex east. I tried other directions and same result.

BTW, I do not remember the exploits you mentioned. I could imagine someone setting the trap around a corner. But that is like any other class discipline (ie. "form fireball w w nw n" which can be out of view and still works). So, not sure what exploit the change to traps was meant to handle.

P.S. I also noticed that the discipline/tier (from the trap) continued to fire beyond the initial area. It almost seemed like it was centered around the NPC that triggered the trap. So, when I ran 4 away, after setting my trap (as I die if I don't<g>), I noticed that I would also die 4-8 hexes away from where I set the trap. My conclusion, which my be wrong, is that it kept firing as an NPC moved. I noticed other times that it did not expand beyond the initial trigger area, so I guessed it was not the tier snowballing into larger and larger areas. Which would be a cool feature occasionally. Anyway, I thought I would mention it, in case it is not by design.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

I'm digging into this a bit deeper.

Is it only advanced disciple based traps, or does the no corpse issue occur with normal traps? (Can you kill something in nork with a nork trap and see a corpse?

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

So, we tried to have a couple guys replicate this today in the game. Courses dropped with both old and new style traps.

We need to dig into whats going on with you. Any further info would be helpful.

curiousredmonkey

I just re-tested Refuge traps. I had made the assumption (in my original post) that since I saw some XP floating by, that the NPCs had also died. However, this was an incorrect conclusion - I earned XP from the activation of the trap, not from a kill.

<Stop here if not interested in how I used the traps.>

Here are the message details:
  • "You hear a soft click"
  • "You feel as if one of your traps has been activated!"
  • "You do 12000 LIGHTNING damage to the tomb_24"
  • <the same message 7 more times>
  • "Your use of Rogue Lightning on the Merchant has expired" <guessing that the NPC moved 1 hex north to the merchant and was damaged there>
  • "Your use of Rogue Lightning on the tomb_24 has expired"
  • "Your use of Rogue Lightning on the tomb_24 has expired"
  • "You have been healed" <must be when I drank 2 His because of the damage I was taking>
  • <no message that tomb_24 had been killed, nor a corpse, so he survived and the xp was from the activation and not a kill shot>
  • <total damage to the tomb_24 is 12k * 10 -> 120k. which is not enough to kill a tomb_24>
  • <based on this and the lightning messages below, I would say that 2 tomb_24s were on the trapped hex; so each received 12k*5->60k damage>
Did the lightning trap a couple more times...
DAMAGE: 57.5k [11500 damage to tomb_24 (only a total of 5 rounds this time)] <did not notice if I received xp on activate or not>
DAMAGE: 60k [12000 damage to skeleton_24 (5 times)] <received some xp upon activate; appeared to be 6 digits but is too hard to know, is not formatted>

Now for a test of the other 2 Merchant traps...
Rogue Incineration (fireball): XP:732999 DAMAGES: study_24 for 27k (9k*3), mummy_24 for 27k (27k*1), study_24 for 87.5k (17.5k*5)
Rogue Zero (icestorm): XP:no idea; I saw something float by but my attention was captivated by my death DAMAGES: did a little damage to the NPCs but then mostly 0 (I assume because I was dead)
Last edited by curiousredmonkey on Sun May 07, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

So, all that to say.. corpses ARE appearing ? :)

curiousredmonkey

You didn't have to read beyond the first paragraph. I stated so and why I concluded wrongly. But, if you want conclusions without evidence then you got it.

Brad
Admin
Admin

Post by Brad »

Just teasing you.

curiousredmonkey

Oh, gotya. :-)