Kingdom of Drakkar on the Ouya

A forum for discussing potential mobile/cross platform ports of the Drakkar Client
flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Post by flisk »

Kingdom of Drakkar on the Ouya.

First off, what is the Ouya?

A little history: Ouya was crowfunded on Kickstarter. It was looking for a funding of $950,000.00 USD. It had that and then some within it’s 1st week. By the end of the campaign it had raised over $8 Million. They recently procured an additional $15 Million.

The system: The Ouya was touted to be the next big home gaming console system. According to the makers it is going to replace the PlayStations and the Xboxes. What it offers is an Android based gaming system (much like your cell phones). It can attach to your television and let’s you play games.

Yeah, there is much more to it; and I’ll do an in depth post a bit later in the week, but that above is the Ouya at it’s very basic. Now on to the point of this article…

Can it be done? YES!

You are not going to find the game on the Ouya’s app store. Well.. not yet. Right now this is considered a 3rd party app. Please read this article first before you go to the link I’m about to provide. I’ll step you through how it’s done and how to set it up to play.

The download can be found here:

http://www.drakkarzone.com/downloads/Dr ... aptive.apk

Since the Android does not utilize flash all that well; the designer added the necessary component into the build itself.

One you have your Ouya set up and connected; navigate from the Home screen like this:

Home – Make > Software > Browser

Once at the browser hit the url I provided above.

It will begin to download automatically. This is the part that will make you think it’s not working, but trust me it is.. There is nothing that indicates a status bar that it’s actually downloading. When it begins to download it flashes up so fast that if you blink you will miss it.

However, you can go back to the Home screen and do this:

Home – Manage > System > Advanced toggle down to Storage and click on Downloads, it will be in Blue. Once in there you will see that the Drakkar apk is downloading. Walk away for a moment, go pee, grab a drink, whatever. When it’s done, click it and it will begin to unpack itself and install.

Once installed, just click Open.

Also, once it has been installed any time you want to play Kingdom of Drakkar you will need to navigate:

Home – Make > Software > Kingdom of Drakkar

Okay, now you have it installed, and you have started it up. It’s going to auto update new graphics and then you’ll be ready to log in, except the Ouya controller won’t work. I mean the controller works, but not with Drakkar (at least not yet that I can figure out).

Grab your USB keyboard and plug it in. For existing players enter in your Username and Password, using the Tab key to move between fields. I could not get the enter button to actually get the Login button to go so..

Grab your USB mouse and unplug the keyboard and plug in the mouse (the Ouya only has 1 USB port – but I’m going to grab a multi USB port adapter and see if that works – I’ll update this once I’ve verified this either way). I also discovered that you can click a text field with the mouse and from there you can use the Ouya to enter text via the mini-keyboard that pops up. (as an aside, you can actually use your mouse to control almost every aspect of the Ouya)

Click Login and you should now find yourself in the lobby.

For new users it may be better initially to go to http://www.kingdomofdrakkar.com ; downloading the game onto your PC and creating a new account that way first.

Here’s the cool part of Kingdom of Drakkar: You can play the SAME account on both your PC as well as on your Android (in our case it’s the Ouya). Yes, the PC version has more features than the Android, but it still logs into the same servers with your same account and characters.

Okay, back to the lobby. Once there you can click on the text field (next to the SEND button) and a mini-keyboard will pop up allowing you to enter text in. I used the mouse to enter some test text, clicked Send and it showed up in the main lobby chat, no problem.

I then clicked on Play and created a new character (you can choose an existing character if you have one). Once the character is created just click it to enter the game and play.

The only issue I’ve found is that Drakkar seems to be just a touch larger than the screen itself displays. There could be a setting somewhere to toggle the screen size, but I’ve not found it yet.

That’s it, you should now be able to play Kingdom of Drakkar on your Ouya!

A couple of things explained:

I’ve found a couple of things help make Drakkar a bit easier to navigate.

On the login screen, click the box that says: Remember Password. That will make it so that you don’t have to enter your password in each and every time.

Once in the lobby open your Options button.

Click on the Auto Login box. This will make it so that when you click on the Drakkar icon in the Software tab, it will automatically log you into the lobby.

Run in Background is more used for the Android Phone; let’s say you are playing the game and you get a call; this would prevent the program from closing as it would, well, run in the background.

Small Creature Boxes simply makes the creature boxes in the game itself smaller.

Sound Enabled turns on sound. Some people like the sound effects and music, others don’t. I like it, so mine is one.

Note: You will need to click your selections and click Close then exit the game and log back in for these to take effect.

And that’s the basics folks on how to get your Ouya to run Kingdom of Drakkar.

flisk
Admin
Admin
Title: King of Drakkar

Re: Kingdom of Drakkar on the Ouya

Post by flisk »

**EDIT ON SCREEN SIZE** After doing some research, I discovered that it was the television itself that was causing the overscan. I had it set to a 16:9 ratio; and a quick change to Fit Screen in my menu settings (on the tv itself) made everything fit perfectly.

Check out the photos:

Photo above shows the lobby at full screen. Everything is crisp and sharp. Look at those players, now forever embedded in this photo!

This one shows an in game screen-shot. Just like the lobby, this one is fitting in the screen and everything is sharp and crisp.

Another shot of the lobby; this time with the character select panel open. The newest problem is that it appears that the bottom of the text is cut off a little. I don’t think this is an issue of the Ouya itself; it may be how the actual text is displayed for mobile devices (and let’s face it.. that is what the Ouya is). I have a feeling it’s a simple fix on the developer end; perhaps just nudging the text up by about 7 pixels or so.

BarryNer

Post by BarryNer »

Thats true. But with so many iPhone users it is staring to become necessary to consider their user experience as well.