Gear questions

Cobrahn Forum
Roganemor

Gear questions

Post by Roganemor »

- Does armor have inherent differences even though they have same stats? For example; If you upgrade the RD gauntlets to +5 are they equal to Vamp (+5 also) gauntlets? (I would think that the Vamp gaunts provide better armor class) Or say The Kaldor robe vs the similar one you find as a random drop? Both have same stats but would the real Kaldor robe have better armor value?

- Speaking of gear with +'s. A Kaldor robe say +3, +3 what? is that like 3/3 or does the +3 just mean +3 to attack?

- Ningi armor with added layer of scales, is that like ningi armor padded with yeti?

I've been away so long can't remember anymore.

Thanks

Roganemor

Re: Gear questions

Post by Roganemor »

anyone?

Terrel

Post by Terrel »

Hi Roganemor!

Yes, armors do have inherent differences. Think about a set of leather vs a set of plate. Neither has any combat adds, but they clearly have different AC's. So vamps and RD gaunts aren't the same, even if both are +5.

The convention for detailing bonuses built into gear are not entirely consistent, although I suspect it's become more consistent in the last several years. Anything with a slash in it (3/3, for instance) obviously affects both. Most newer gear specifies whether it affects to hit, defense, or both. Much of the older gear, however, does not specify.

Dunno on the ninga scales. Rumour has always been that ninga padded with ninga are better AC-wise...but like much of this game, sometimes the conventional wisdom is balderdash.

Ravaillac

Post by Ravaillac »

My memory is that Ninga padded with Nina blocks better, but Ninga padded with Yeti has better damage absorption.

Sometimes it is better to try not be hit at all (e.g. if you would be 1 shotted by 1 big creature). Other times, it might be better to get hit more often but take less damage per hit (like if you are standing in a zoo of regular creatures that don't hit particularly hard when all of your damage absorption is stacked together).

I also seem to remember that at one point it was possible to double-line things, possibly even including shields.